Your search returned 18 results in 9 document sections:

Cage cases. --The following arrests have been made by the city police since Saturday: Thomas Alexander, for stealing a shawl, worth $20, from Charles DeKan; William Pitts, at half-past 2 o'clock Sunday morning, for being in possession of a large chisel, and acting suspiciously; Madison Griffin, for forging the name of John Griffin and obtaining $15 from Richard Reins, Tom, slave of A. Hill & Co., for having in his possession a piece of sole leather, canvas, and one pair of shoes, supposed to be stolen. The under mentioned soldiers, taken by the Watch, were sent to Castle Thunder to be returned to their regiments: Harman L. Seay, drunk and sitting on the street; Charles Alexander, drunk and lying on the sidewalk; Wm. Masengale, John Robertson, and Henry Mitchell, for disorderly conduct in the Varieties theatre.
s. Mayor's Court, Monday, Nov. 24. --The case of George, slave of Bristol Dunnagee, arrested by officer Chalkley, charged with stealing $225 in bank notes, belonging to Thomas A. Hanks, was partly heard, and continued until Tuesday, on account of the absence of a material witness. Tom, slave of Alex. Hill & Co., found in possession of a lot of sole leather, canvas, and a pair of shoes, for whose possession he could not satisfactorily account, was ordered to be whipped. Madison Griffin, charged with forging the name of John Griffin and obtaining $15 from Richard Reins, was committed for a future hearing, the witnesses living in Fluvanna county, and not being present. William Pitts, who was found by one of the watchmen in the street, about half-past 2 o'clock Sunday morning, in a suspicious attitude, and who had on his person a chisel, was committed in default of security for his good behavior. Thomas Alexander, a young white man, an operative in one of the n
ly fitted the indentures made in the door ways of several houses broken open on Friday night. Thomas Alexander, arrested for stealing a $30 shawl from Charles Dekab, was arraigned, and the witness desired by the prisoner to prove his innocence having appeared, gave testimony strongly in behalf of the Commonwealth. Suffice it to say that DeKab recovered his shawl and the Mayor sent the accused to jail to be examined before the Hustings Court for grand larceny. The case against Madison Griffin for forging John Griffin's name and getting $15 from Richard Reins, was continued for further proof. Thomas Groshen, charged with drunkenness and disorderly conduct in the street, was acquitted. --Milke Flynn, on the same charge, was committed. William, slave of N. Mills, caught with a batch of clothes, supposed to have been stolen, had a pass from Gen. Winder, and was committed to find out how he came by it. The clothes were delivered to their owner. Emanuel, slave of B.
were marched off to the cage. The Recorder committed them as disturbers of the peace. Rebecca Williams and Rachael Armistead, two free negroes, were arraigned for fighting together in the street, to the disturbance of the public peace. Each one was ordered 25 lashes. The examination of Michael Sweeny, charged with robbing Patrick Greenan of ten one dollar Confederate Treasury notes, was continued until the 3d December, on account of the absence of witnesses. The case of Madison Griffin, for forging the name of John Griffin, and obtaining $15 from Richard Reins, was postponed until December 10th. The case of James Riley and Patrick Brannon, for unlawfully and violently assaulting and beating Thomas and Sarah Ward, was continued until the 6th of December. James A. Minor, a soldier, from North Carolina, arrested on the charge of forgery was handed ever to Captain Booker, Assistant Provost, Marshal, of the Western District. Thomas W. P. Goodman, a countryma
heir escape, save O'Leary, who was captured by the police. Defendant was committed in default of $200 security. Beverly, slave of Wm. H. Tyree, arrested with a bowie knife in his possession, was ordered 25 lashes. Adams and Wesley, slaves of John E. Wadsworth, found with forged passes on their persons, were ordered 39 lashes each. Ann and Matilda, two slaves, charged with harboring and concealing Debby, slave of Mrs. Griffin, were each ordered 25 lashes. The case of Madison Griffin, charged with forging the name of John Griffin and getting $10 from Richard Reins, was continued till Monday, the witnesses not being present. Cornelius, slave of R. J. Jones, was ordered 25 lashes for stealing 16 pounds of butter, belonging to James W. Smith. Hustings Court, Wednesday, Dec. 10th. --Present. Aldermen Caskie, Sanxay, Timberlake, Gwathmey and Clopton. A nolle prosequi has entered by the Attorney for the Commonwealth in the case of Charles Foster alias Char
ail on the charge of being concerned in the affair of the shooting. The case of the robbery was continued until Wednesday. John Whittaker, a free negro, charged with forging Mrs. Louisa G. Allan's name to a check for $500, payable at the Bank of Virginia, was examined and acquitted, none of the evidence tending to criminate him. Patrick Holland was required to give $200 security to keep the peace towards his wife, who accused him of beating her without cause. The case of Madison Griffin, charged with a forgery, whereby he obtained $15 from Richard Reins, was heard and again continued, the principal witness being still absent. George R. Courtney, a soldier, arrested by the watch for drunkenness, was charged with stealing a coat from Jack White, a runaway negro, confined in the same cell of the cage with him. The Mayor sent him to the Provost Marshal. Joseph Cregar was arraigned for the murder of Michael Horan. The affair, which has often been alluded to in th
. Wright, charged with feloniously stealing $42 from Thos S. Burr, was called, but the witness not answering to his name, was continued until Monday. Thomas Tealing, charged with getting drunk and trespassing on the American Hotel, was required to give security for his good behavior. The case of James Neal, for stealing $80 from Henry McGee, was partly heard and continued. John Burns charged with an assault on James Neul, was required to give security. Robert Thompson, charged with an assault on Elizabeth Keathing, was required to give security to keep the peace for one year. The forgery case against Madison Griffin, often alluded to was again called; but the witness in the case not being present, it was continued. The case against John Head, for an assault on Peter Beech, was heard and dismissed. Carter Tadlock, implicated in a robbery performed by another party on Wm. Rowe, was allowed to give bail in $1,000 to appear when wanted for examination.
it will not be out of place for me to give you a brief outline of what fell under my notice. to gather with a few observations relative to the matter. During the earlier part of the action our corps remained on the reserve on the east side of the Rappahannock. Early in the morning climbed a tall tree, from the top of which I had a district view of the scene of battle at its commencement. After being there attentively occupied for some time, orders came to our division, commanded by General Griffin, to cross the river, and the bugle sound to "fall in" brought me down in double quick, and instead of being a curious spectator. I soon became a shatter in the fight. This battle was fought on a remarkable small space of ground. To the rear of Fredericksburg, that is claiming the front of the city to be on the river, there is a plain of about half a mile in acres, which terminate, in a ridge of steep hill, where the enemy had taken up his position. This was the plain where Generals
, he was committed to appear before the Hustings Court. Michael Murphy was arraigned for getting drunk and acting disorderly in the house of John McPherson, and threatening to shoot the proprietor, He was committed in Defant of $200 security. Samuel Liggon charged with taking Dr. Warring's horse, on street, was examined and acquitted. Elchard Barry charged with being engaged with others in assaulting and stabbing Warren L. Story, was committed for a further bearing. Madison Griffin, charged with forging Jno Griffin's name and getting $15 from Richard Reins was acquitted; but committed in default of $100 security for his good behavior. The case of Carter Tadlock. J. P. Thompson, and J. W. Sartin, for stealing $10 from Wm. Rowe, was called, and the witness not responding was continued until Monday, at which time the officers were directed to have on hand all who knew anything of the offence charged against the prisoners. Martha slave of Mrs. Sally Manford