hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 30. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 2 results in 1 document section:

Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 30., The Brooks Estates in Medford from 1660 to 1927. (search)
is tree stood in the driveway on the east side of the Peter C. Brooks house, at that time called the Francis Brooks house. In recent years doubt has been cast on the authenticity of this tradition. In 1775 chocolate was being manufactured in Boston. In fact it is probable that the only chocolate then manufactured in the colonies was made in the corner of a saw mill on the banks of the Neponset river on the site of the present mills of Walter Baker & Co. The maker was a young Irishman, Richard Harman. At his death, a few years later, a Doctor Baker who had interested himself in the young man's enterprise took over the operation of the infant industry, installing his son, Walter Baker, to learn the art of making chocolate. From that beginning sprang the present firm which bears his name. In the latter part of the eighteenth century chocolate as a beverage had become an expensive luxury. It was unpalatable without sugar, and sugar was scarce, though honey was sometimes used in its