hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 11. (ed. Frank Moore) 47 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 11. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for R. B. Hatch or search for R. B. Hatch in all documents.

Your search returned 24 results in 10 document sections:

onsent of the Executive Committee. art. III.--of the pledge or Covenant. The pledge or covenant shall be as follows: For three years, or for the war, we pledge ourselves to each other and the country to purchase no imported article of apparel. On motion of Mrs. Loan, the constitution was adopted. On motion of Mrs. Nininger, of Oregon, the address was unanimously adopted, and its universal publication asked. The Committee on Nominations made their report, which, on motion of Mrs. Hatch, of Washington, D. C., was unanimously adopted, and the officers elected as follows: Officers: the Executive Committee. President--Mrs. General James Taylor. Vice-President--Mrs. Stephen A. Douglas. Recording Secertaries--Miss Rebecca Gillis, Miss Virginia Smith. Corresponding Secretaries--Mrs. M. Morris, Mrs. B. B. French, Mrs. S. Bowen, Mrs. H. C. Ingersoll, Mrs. Z. C. Robbins, Mrs. Professor Henry, Mrs. Chittenden, Mrs. Captain Kidden, Miss Williams, Miss Matilda Bates.
skirmishers, and swept across the field, driving the enemy in splendid style. General Logan accompanied the line. At the same time Herron, who had fallen back of the main road to allow Hooker to move to the right, moved on the double-quick to the left of Osterhaus, the two divisions pushing into the thick wood on the left of the Second; Dodge moved his command from the Ferry road down through the forest to fill up the space between the Fifteenth and the Oostenaula, his Fourth division, General Hatch, having the advance. After crossing the field, General Morgan L. Smith entered the wood, and pushed rapidly for the hills in his front. As the right of the Fifteenth corps came up on the rising ground beyond the open hill, it was found to be uncovered, Dodge's left not being up. The rebels opened a severe flanking fire, from which Lightburn's brigade suffered considerably. General Smith brought up battery H, and with a few shots from his twenty-pounder Parrott's, De Grasse upset and
. You don't suppose they saw your flag? No. It was hidden by the trees; but a shot came uncomfortably near us. It struck the water, and ricochetted not three yards off. A little nearer, and it would have shortened me by a head, and the Colonel by two feet. That would have been a sad thing for you; but a miss, you know, is as good as a mile, said the Judge, evidently enjoying the joke. We hear Grant was in the boat that followed yours, and was struck while at dinner, remarked Captain Hatch, the Judge's adjutant — a gentleman, and about the best-looking man in the Confederacy. Indeed! Do you believe it? I don't know, of course; and his looks asked for an answer. We gave none, for all such information is contraband. We might have told him that Grant, Butler, and Foster examined their position from Mrs. Grover's house — about four hundred yards distant--two hours after the rebel cannon-ball danced a break-down on the Lieutenant-General's dinner-table. We were then
rty miles of the road, and two locomotives, besides large amounts of stores. The expedition from Baton Rouge was without favorable results. The expedition from the Department of the South, under the immediate command of Brigadier-General John P Hatch, consisting of about five thousand men of all arms, including a brigade from the navy, proceeded up Broad river and debarked at Boyd's Neck, on the twenty-ninth of November, from where it moved to strike the railroad at Grahamsville. At Honey Hiee miles from Grahamsville, the enemy was found and attacked, in a strongly-fortified position, which resulted, after severe fighting in our repulse, with a lose of seven hundred and forty-six in killed, wounded and missing. During the night General Hatch withdrew. On the sixth of December General Foster obtained a position covering the Charleston and Savannah railroad, between the Coosawatchie and Talifinny rivers. Hood, instead of following Sherman, continued his move northward, which se
e the enemy back. Directions were sent to General Hatch, commanding a division of cavalry at Cliftt to Shoal creek, skirmishing continually with Hatch's and Croxton's commands along the line of thas from Florence toward Waynesboro, and shelled Hatch's cavalry out of Lawrenceburg on the twenty-seg. The remainder of General Wilson's command, Hatch's division leading and Knipe in reserve, movinried by assault, at one P. M., by a portion of Hatch's division, dismounted, and the captured guns ke, General Wilson hastily mounted Knipe's and Hatch's division of his command, and directed them teploying Knipe's division as skirmishers, with Hatch's in close support, General Wilson ordered hisbreaking the enemy's centre, while Knipe's and Hatch's men pressed back his flanks, scattering the oops to cross Rutherford's creek, although General Hatch succeeded in lodging a few skirmishers on Franklin. On the morning of the twentieth General Hatch constructed a floating bridge from the deb
ching Charleston, a comparatively small force was able, by seeming preparation to cross over, to keep in their front a considerable force of the enemy disposed to contest our advance on Charleston. On the twenty-seventh I rode to the camp of General Hatch's division of Foster's command, on the Tullafuiney and Coosawhatchie rivers, and directed those places to be evacuated, as no longer of any use to us. That division was then moved to Pocotaligo to keep up the feints already begun, until we shtart. I therefore directed General Howard to move one corps, the Seventeenth, along the Salkehatchie, as high up as Rivers' bridge, and the other, the Fifteenth, by Hickory hill, Loper's cross-roads, Anglesey post-office, and Beaufort's bridge. Hatch's division was ordered to remain at Pocotaligo, feigning at the Salkehatchie railroad bridge and ferry, until our movement turned the enemy's position, and forced him to fall behind the Edisto. The Seventeenth and Fifteenth corps drew out of c
ounded, and fell a prisoner into the hands of the enemy. Among the killed was Lieutenant-Colonel A. Wentz, Seventh Iowa volunteers, and among the wounded were Colonel J. G. Lauman, and Major E. W. Rice of the Seventh Iowa. The reports of sub-commanders will detail more fully particulars of the engagement, and the conduct of both officers and men. To my staff, Captain John A. Rawlins Assistant Adjutant-General; Lieutenants C. B. Lagow and William S. Hillyer, Aides-de-Camp; and Captain R. B. Hatch, Assistant Quarter-master, I am much indebted for the promptitude with which they discharged their several duties. Surgeon J. H. Brinton, United States volunteers, chief medical officer, was on the field during the entire engagement, and displayed great ability and efficiency in providing for the wounded, and in organizing the medical corps. Major J. D. Webster, Acting Chief-Engineer, also accompanied me on the field, and displayed soldierly qualities of a high order. My own
le, after accomplishing which, he was to operate against any of the enemy's forces in the direction of Mississippi, Mobile, or Macon, as circumstances might demand. The bad state of the roads, combined with the condition of the horses of his command after completing the severe campaign in pursuit of Hood, prevented any movement for the time being, and it was only on the twenty-second of March that General Wilson, with Upton's, Long's, and McCook's divisions, could leave Chickasaw, Alabama. Hatch's division remained at Eastport, Mississippi, and R. W. Johnson's at Pulaski, Tennessee, it not being possible to mount them fully, to hold the country and prevent guerrilla depredations. When General Sherman was organizing his army for its march to the Atlantic seaboard, in November, he issued an order directing me to assume control of all the forces of the Military Division of the Mississippi not present with him and the main army in Georgia. Based on that order, all the operations of
pers of April twenty-eighth. During the night of May second, at Hilton Head, having concluded my business in the Department of the South, I began my return to meet my troops then marching toward Richmond from Raleigh. On the morning of the third we ran into Charleston harbor, where I had the pleasure to meet Admiral Dahlgren, who had, in all my previous operations from Savannah northward, aided me with a courtesy and manliness that commanded my entire respect and deep affection; also General Hatch, who, from our first interview at his Tullafinnay camp, had caught the spirit of the move from Pocotaligo northward, and had largely contributed to our joint success in taking Charleston and the Carolina coast. Any one who is not satisfied with war should go and see Charleston, and he will pray louder and deeper than ever that the country may in the long future be spared any more war. Charleston and secession being synonymous terms, the city should be left as a sample, so that centuries
are merit and experience. The troops were all cantoned on the north bank of the Tennessee river — Long's, Upton's, and Hatch's divisions, and Hammond's brigade of Knipe's division at Gravelly Springs, and McCook's division at Waterloo. The aggre, but in order to furnish it with horses, it was found necessary to dismount a part of the command remaining behind. General Hatch's division, composed of most excellent troops, had, under its gallant commander, won great distinction during the recs purchased in the West to be sent to General Canby, there were no means left in the hands of the Cavalry Bureau to mount Hatch's division. I therefore directed him to turn over his few remaining horses to General Upton, and continue the instructioama or Georgia. By a voluntary arrangement between Brevet Brigadier-General D. E. Coon, commanding the Second brigade of Hatch's division, and Brigadier-General Croxton, the former also turned over to the latter all the Spencer carbines then in his