Your search returned 16 results in 8 document sections:

vel away from their houses, and those who thought its passage through their farms would ruin them. But the saving of three miles travel, for loads of ship-timber and country produce, was too great a gain of time, space, and money, to be wholly abandoned. The first projectors, therefore, persevered, and subscriptions for stock were opened in 1804, and Medford was deeply interested in it. An act of incorporation was obtained, June 15, 1805, by Jonathan Porter, Joseph Hurd, Nathan Parker, Oliver Holden, and Fitch Hall. The route was designated in the act. It was to run from the house of John Russell, in Andover, in an easterly direction, to the east of Martin's Pond ; nearly on a straight line to the house of J. Nichols, in Reading ; thence to Stoneham, by the west side of Spot Pond, to the market-place in Medford. No time for its construction was named in the legislative grant, as the distance was considerable and the country hilly. A much longer time and much more money than were
Greene, 32, 36, 44. Greenland, 15, 36. Greenleaf family, 515. Greenleaf, 106. Gregg family, 516. Groves, 44, 517. Hall family, 517. Hall, 36, 51, 52, 96, 158, 317, 351, 501, 502, 570. Hammond, 44. Hancock, 202, 213, 527. Harris, 527. Hathaway, 527. Haywood, 36. Higginson, 12. Hill, 36. Historical Items, 478. History, Civil, 93. ------Ecclesiastical, 200. ------Military, 181. ------Natural 21. ------Political, 143. Hobart, 37. Holden, 52. Hosmer, 293, 302. Howard, 17. Howe family, 528. Hutchinson, 31, 200. Hutton, 538. Indians, 72, 80. Ingraham, 439. Johnson, 6, 15, 31, 44, 67. Josselyn, 1. Justices of the Peace, 169. Kenrick, 528. Kidder family, 528. Kidder, 112, 225, 483. Knox, 529. Labor in Vain, 7. Lands unappropriated, 105, 107. Laribee, 530. Lawrence family, 529. Lawrence, 104, 233, 302. Lawyers, 308. Leathe, 265, 530. Le Bosquet, 485. Letter, 495
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Music and musicians in the United States. (search)
shed in New England1712 Organ presented to the Queen's chapel, Boston, by Thomas Brattle, Esq.Aug., 1713 Singing societies established in different parts of New England1720 Beggar's Opera, written by John Gay in 1727 (probably), first produced in New YorkDec. 3, 1750 William Billings, of Boston, publishes a collection of his musical compositions entitled The New England psalm-singer, or American chorister, in 4 and 5 parts1770 Stoughton (Mass.) Musical Society organizedNov. 7, 1786 Oliver Holden, of Charlestown, composer of Coronation, publishes The American harmony, in 3 and 4 parts1792 Mrs. Oldmixon, Nee George, makes her debut in America in Inkle and YaricoDec. 5, 1798 Euterpean Musical Society, New York City1800 Massachusetts Musical Society, Boston.1807 Barber of Seville sung by French artists in New OrleansJuly 12, 1810 Handel and Haydn Society organized in Boston, April 20, 1815; incorporated.Feb. 9, 1816 Clari, the maid of Milan, libretto by John Howard Payne, cont
s voted that four trustees be chosen within and three without the Neck. Thereafter this seems to have been the established rule. In August of this year it is voted to build a schoolhouse of brick on or near the spot in which the schoolhouse within the Neck now stands, for the accommodation of schools, town meetings, and other public business, and that all the other school buildings be put in repair. The committee to procure estimates were Lemuel Cox, George Bartlett, Matthew Bridge, Oliver Holden, Thomas Harris. The town proposes to pay one-third the cost at commencement of the work, one-third when completed, and another third at a distinct period to be agreed upon. Later the trustees are empowered to dispose of the old school building to the best advantage. May 10, 1802. Voted $100, to repair the schoolhouse near Alewife bridge, and voted the thanks of the town be extended to Mr. Zabdiel B. Adams for the present of a lot of land at the Neck for to erect a town school upon;
l H., 90. Henderson, Frank, 8. Hertzog's Religious Cyclopaedia, 2. Hessieltine, Major, 27. Higginson, Colonel T. W., 12. Higginson, Rev. Mr., 4, 5. High School, Somerville, 10. Hill, Abraham, 84. Hill, Elizabeth, 84. Hill, Ives, 47. Hill, Martha, 84. Hill, Solomon, 84. Hilton Head, 34, 36. Hitchings, Mrs., Augustus, 47. Hobbs, Miss, 97, 100. Hobgoblin Hall, 23. Holbrook, Abiah, 38. Holbrook, Abiah, Jr., 38. Holbrook, Mary Needham, 38. Holbrook, Samuel, 38. Holden, Oliver, 44. Holland, Silas H., 12. Hooper, Thomas, 90, 99, 100. Hopkinton, Mass., 86. Hoppin, Rev. Dr., 85. Hoppin, William, 82, 85. Hopping, Nicholas, 41. Howe, Lord, 86. Hurd, Benjamin, 65. Hurd, Benjamin. Jr., 20, 46, 63. Hurd, Joseph, 42, 63, 65, 66. Hurd. Josiah S., 90. Hutchinson, Samuel, 82, 85. Independent Christian Church, 1. India, 81. Ireland, Johnny, 47. Ireland, Martha, 70, 71, 72. Jackson, Mrs., Eleanor, 70. Jackson, Rev., Henry, 90. Jaques, Henry, 90.
give each $100, in addition to the $700 they then received. The primary teachers presented a petition for more pay, stating as the cause the high rate of living and the additional quantity of fuel which has been needed in consequence of the unusual cold weather. It was voted to give them $10 each, and to defer the subject of a greater raise to the next town meeting. Edwin Munroe and others of Milk Row district petition that the trustees will recommend the expediency of another school, Oliver Holden and others urge the removal of the cupola and bell from the Town Hill school, as it obstructs the view of the dial on Rev. Dr. Fay's church from the inhabitants in the north section of the town. The boy who rings it has to go some distance. He is consequently unable to return on time to commence his studies with the rest of his class. It is also an interruption to the female department. 1836-1837. The teachers for this summer outside the peninsula were: Miss Abby Mead, of the Wi
82. Hay, Esther M., 81, 82. Hayes Estate, 63. Hazelton, Amos, 10, 49, 72. Heald, Helen E., 53. Hemlock Wood. 1, 8. Henchman, Nathaniel H., 11, 17, 18. Henderson, C. E., 53. Higginson, Colonel T. W., 6, 37. Highland Avenue, 46, 53, 57, 85. High Street, Boston, 4. Hill, Ephraim, 74. Hill, Ives, 54. Hill, J. D., 12. Hilliard, A. S., 31, 33. Historical Society, Somerville. 88. Historical Society, Somerville, Officers of, 84. Hoit, A. G., 21. Holden, Bertha E., 53. Holden, Oliver, 73. Hollis Hall, 6. Holmes, O. W., 3, 53. Holmes' Field, 6. Holroyd, John, 20, 22. Holt, Chauncey, 90. Hooper, John C., 93. Hooper, Thomas, 22. Hovey, James, 77, 80, 83. Hovey, W., 15. Hunnewell, William, 13. Hurd, J. Stearns, 20, 21. Hutchinson, H., 15. Hutchinson, Thomas, 11. Hyde, Adeline, 17. Inman Street, Cambridge, 9. Ireland, George W., 56. Ireland, John, 10, 56. Jackson, Rev., Henry, 16, 18, 46. Jaques, Fannie C., 53. Jaques, Henry, 23, 48. Jaques, Colon
the outward country roads, what was later Ship Street being only local. With increasing business, the Medford turnpike road across the marsh to Charlestown had been built in 1803 to do away with the tedious haul over Winter Hill, and in 1804 the project of another and shorter route to Andover was agitated, resulting in the charter on June 15, 1805, of the Andover and Medford Turnpike. The corporators, according to the Brooks history, were Jonathan Porter, Joseph Hurd, Nathan Parker, Oliver Holden and Fitch Hall. The meager account we have of its construction and history shows it in marked contrast to the other. The former, with everything of material to be carted onto and sinking into the salt-marsh, continually needing repair, was maintained as a toll road till 1867. This latter (shortening the distance three miles and opening new territory for improvement in Medford), with plenty of the best material at hand for building and repair, was never a profitable investment, and as