Your search returned 5 results in 4 document sections:

Brig.-Gen. Bradley T. Johnson, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 2.1, Maryland (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Chapter 2: Maryland's First patriotic movement in 1861. (search)
grandfather, Allan McLane, had been the comrade of Light Horse Harry in the campaign of Valley Forge and had led the Delaware Legion, as Lee had the Virginians. McLane graduated at West Point, served with distinction in the Florida campaign, but after that left the army and entered politics in Maryland. He had served in the State legislature, as representative in Congress from Maryland, and occupied a conspicuous place in the confidence of the State rights Southern people of Maryland. George W. Hughes had served with distinction for many years in the army of the United States and had won the grade of colonel in Mexico. He was now living in affluence and retirement on his plantation in Anne Arundel county. The party of action, the young men, looked to these old soldiers for advice and leadership. But they were too old soldiers to plunge into a fight without troops, arms, ammunition or a commissary department. Bradley Johnson and other young men were ready, but they had neither the
f Maryland citizens." Mr. Quincey conversed with several of the soldiers, who expressed an aversion to come into conflict with our people, but said they were under orders and must obey. The people were unwilling to credit anything that came from the troops encamped in Maryland, and still kept on the preparation for the result, whatever it might be. About a quarter before five o'clock, Mr. Stricker Bradford returned to the city from the Pennsylvania camp and reported to Col. George W. Hughes. He said he was in the camp and conversed with its officers. Mr. B. reported them to be 2,400 strong, about one-fourth of whom were in uniform. He heard nothing of reinforcements, but said they were well armed and generally a good looking body of men. They did not say at what time they would move, nor did they appear to be communicative. In the afternoon Mr. Albert Ritchie and Mr. Samuel Gassaway visited the camp. Many of them expressed a desire to come through Baltimore, an
orning, and two more this morning, the Naval Academy is yet swarming with troops. All the handsome real fences in the yard, formerly occupied by the families of the Professor and Lieutenants, are now thrown into quarters for the troops The artillery and cavalry have not yet left the yard. The former compose eight field pieces and the latter one hundred and twenty horses. When Governor Sprague's regiment from Rhode Island left for Washington, three negro men, belonging to the Hon. Geo. W. Hughes, residing some ten miles from this city, attempted to follow them and escape. As soon as the Governor, who was in command, was apprised of the fact he had them arrested and conveyed to their master. The universal sentiment of the troops is that they did not come here to aid and comfort the negroes; but, on the country, they would volunteer to put down any insurrection that might be brought about by the slaves. In addition to the garrison of Fort Severn, and the embankments on
ment. On the breaking out of the war with Mexico, he repaired to the Rio Grande, and served as a volunteer aid-de-camp to Brigadier-General Twiggs in the battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma. He subsequently commanded a small volunteer partisan corps, superintended the erection of defences at Matamoras, and, during the last year of his services in Mexico, was captain of a company of light artillery in the regiment of Maryland and District of Columbia volunteers, commanded by Col. George W. Hughes. After the war, he returned to his profession of engineering, and became principal assistant engineer of the Panama division of the Isthmus Railroad. For some time past he has resided at Paducah, Ky., and was one of the earliest to take the field from that State in behalf of the rebel cause, having been appointed Colonel. His regiment, as a part of the first Kentucky brigade, rendevoused at Clarksville, Tenn., where it remained, undergoing thorough drill, until the movement of