ong the street between Mr. Magoun's and Mr. Lapham's. For his brother Samuel he built the house afterward occupied by Roland Jacobs.
Next below this he built his own in 1831, with timber cut from his wood-lot in Marshfield and brought here in a vesship-yard, afterward going into the coal business at what was recently Mr. Bean's wharf.
He died July 21, 1869.
Mr. Roland Jacobs, born in Thomaston, Maine, in 1808, came early to Medford and learned shipcarpenter-ing of Sprague & James.
His houring the Civil War, in the navy yard.
In 1873 he was working in Mr. Foster's ship-yard.
After ship-building ceased Deacon Jacobs might any day be found at his carpenter shop, back of his house, making wheelbarrows; a conscientious, painstaking workman, whose wheelbarrows needed no further warrant than that they were made by Deacon Jacobs.
He died March 23, 1879.
The white house with cupola, built by Mr. C. S. Jacobs, back from the street among the trees, with the long iron fence front,
Both men, according to the custom of the day, took apprentices into their families.
Joshua Turner Foster lived with Mr. Sprague and later married his daughter.
John Taylor lived with Mr. James and married his sister.
Foster and Taylor succeeded the firm of Sprague and James in the Labor in Vain yard.
After Mr. Taylor went to Chelsea, Mr. Foster carried on the business there and built the last Medford ship, in 1872.
Other apprentices well known in Medford for years were Roland Jacobs, John Stetson and Elijah Ewell.
In youth, Mr. James attended the Congregational church in South Scituate, which his mother joined in 1813, but the old school clergyman there never attracted his interest.
Very early in life he left home, as I have said, to work in various places, and in Salem he boarded with Baptists and attended church with them.
He became interested in their methods but never subscribed to their creed.
From that time, however, he became interested in religious mat