Your search returned 32 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
Rev. James K. Ewer , Company 3, Third Mass. Cav., Roster of the Third Massachusetts Cavalry Regiment in the war for the Union, Company E (search)
Smith, Musician, Roston, 22, m; sash and blind maker. Aug. 20, 1862. Disch. disa. May 13, 1863. Unof. George H. Rymill, Bugler, Boston, 18, s; caulker. Sept. 10, 1862. Disch. May 20, 1865. Austin Cain. Cook, en. Port Hudson, La. 45. Aug. 29, 1863. Deserted July 16, 1864. Unof. William Collins, Cook, en. Port Hudson, La. 24. Aug. 29, 1863. Deserted July 28, 1865, Ft. Leavenworth, Kan. William Hamilton, Cook, en. Port Hudson, La. Aug. 28, 1863. M. O. Sept. 28, 1865. Joseph James, Cook, en. Port Hudson, La. 40. Aug. 30, 1863. Deserted July 16, 1864. Unof. Richard Powers, Cook, en. Port Hudson, La. Aug 28, 1863. Deserted July 27, 1865, Fort Leavenworth, Kan. John Anderson, Jamaica Plain, 35, m; laborer. Sept. 8, 1862. Wounded Oct. 1864. Disch. May 20, 1865. Unof. Lewis Babbitt, Worcester, 40, m; merchant. Jan. 4, 1864. Disch. Sept. 23, 1864, with view to en. as Hospital Steward U. S. Army. George baker, New Bedford, 25, m; Feb. 13, 1864. Deser
Rev. James K. Ewer , Company 3, Third Mass. Cav., Roster of the Third Massachusetts Cavalry Regiment in the war for the Union, Company F. (search)
arch 8, 1864. Charles H. Burgess, Salem, 18. Oct. 27, 1862. No further record. Michael Cairns, East Cambridge, 27, m; laborer, Jan. 18, 1864, Disch, June 21, 1865. Patrick Cannon, Lowell, 33, m; laborer. Aug. 9, 1862. Disch. disa. Feb. 20, 1863. Frank Carrigan, Lynn, 44, s; morocco dresser. Sept. 3, 1862. Trans. to Co. I, 3rd Regt. V. R.C. and discharged for disability, Oct. 15, 1864. John Cashman, Lowell, 28, m; machinist. July 20, 1862. Disch. disa. Feb. 20, 1863. James. T. Clampitt, E. Boston, 22, s; painter. Aug. 26, 1862. Disch. May 20, 1865. Cornelius A. Collins, en. Boston, Cr. Templeton, 21, s; clerk. Dec. 31, 1864. M. O. Sept. 28, 1865. Hugh Collins, Lynn, 18, m; teamster. Aug. 29, 1862. Disch. May 20. 1865. James Collins, Jr. Lynn, 19, s; shoemaker. Oct. 27, 1862. Trans. to V. R.C. and M. O. July 11, 1865. Leonard J. Cottle, Boston; 28, m; teamster. Sept. 8, 1862, Disch, disa. Oct. 12, 1863. Handy Crook, Boston, 41, m; porte
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., Incidents and reminiscences of the Fire Department of Medford. (search)
Selectmen, make a statement of the condition of the company, and request that it be disbanded. It was also voted, that the foreman, Mr. John T. White, surrender the engine Governor Brooks and whatever moneys there may be in the hands of the Treasurer to the Selectmen to be disposed of as they may judge expedient. On July 3, the next day after disbandment, the Selectmen appointed twenty-nine men to take charge of the engine, and on July 22 they met and chose Mr. John T. White, foreman, Joseph James, assistant foreman, and Daniel H. Forbes, clerk and treasurer. They continued the organization till March 17, 1858, when by order of the engineers they were disbanded for disobeying the order of the engineers at a fire on the plains, Mr. Hugh Nugent's house on Cherry street. Engine No. 2, General Jackson, was first located in a building near the Meeting-House brook at the foot of Marm Symond's hill, and after a few years was relocated in the rear of the First Parish meeting-house. T
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., The Lawrence Light Guard.—Continued. (search)
th. A few shad were captured in this way. Joseph and Milton James, before 1845, had a lumber yard on Main street, at the southwest corner of the bridge. Mr. Joseph James lived just south of the yard, where Ames' paint shop, No. 49 Main street, stands. About 1845, the Messrs. James sold their property here and removed theirJames sold their property here and removed their business to the Branch Canal, near Swan street. Parallel with Main street was an inclined way leading from the lumber yard to the river at the bridge, which was used as a boat landing and for hauling timber from the river. Some of the very earliest deeds refer to this landing, which was public property before that part of Medf was built over the old runway to the river. It was in Gregg's stable that the great fire of 1850 began. When Mr. Gregg took possession of the northern half of James' yard, Mr. Benjamin Moore moved his blacksmith shop from the other side of the street to the southerly part of the yard, and his family moved from Union street to
Rev. John Pierpont was married September 23, 1810, to Mary Sheldon Lord, daughter of Lynde and Mary (Lyman) Lord, who died at Medford, Mass., August 23, 1855. His children were:— 1William Alston, born July 1, 1811,at Litchfield, Conn., married Mary C. Ridgway of Syracuse, N. Y. 2Mary E., born September 18, 1812, at Newburyport, Mass. 3Juliette, born July 30, 1816, at Baltimore, Md., married James S. Morgan of Hartford, Conn. 4John, born November 24, 1819, at Boston, Mass. 5James, born April 25, 1822, at Boston, married Millicent Cowen of Troy, N. Y. 6Caroline Augusta, born August 21, 1823, at Boston, married J. M. Boardman of Macon, Ga. Mr. Pierpont married for his second wife Mrs. Harriet Louisa Fowler, widow of Dr. George W. Fowler, by whom there were no children. Strangers in Medford, (continued from vol. 6, no. 3). Names.From.Date.Warned out.Remarks. Fillebrown, SarahCambridge,Jan. 4, 1768At house of Ezekiel Hall. Fisk, Joseph  Mary (wife)Rea
plentiful supply of Blanchard's own manufacture. On that part of the land adjoining the road and river was a grocery store and in the rear stood a small distillery. Mr. Blanchard's last year as landlord was in the year 1800. (He died in the year 1803.) He was succeeded by his son, Hezekiah Blanchard, junior. Hezekiah, junior, died in the year 1818 and was succeeded by Messrs. Isaac W. Blanchard, Samuel Blanchard, and others. The Blanchard heirs sold the estate in the year 1833 to Mr. Joseph James, who in company with Mr. Milton James, established a lumber yard on the premises. A portion of the old tavern building was sold to Mr. Jacob Butters, who removed it to another location on Main street and fitted it up into a double dwelling house; it is now standing opposite the head of Mystic avenue and is numbered 133 and 135 Main street. The old tavern was the headquarters of the Medford and Boston Stage Coach, Samuel Blanchard, proprietor. The Medford house. This house stands
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., Female Union temperance Society. (search)
ated, and Mrs. Ira Barker read an historical sketch. In 1895, the fiftieth anniversary was held at the house of the aged president and is the last recorded meeting of the association. The secretary, Mrs. Burrell, reported, A few that were at the commencement of our society and have through all these years done what they could [were present] and now though the hair is white and the eyes need assistance the same interest is manifested in the cause. Officers. Presidents. 1846.Mrs. Joseph James, Mrs. Timothy Cotting. 1847-8.Mrs. Caleb Stetson. 1849.Mrs. George Fuller. 1850-1.Mrs. Luther H. Angier. 1852-5.Mrs. James O. Curtis. 1856-1898.Mrs. Samuel Joyce. Vice-Presidents. 1846-8.Mrs. George Fuller. 1849-51.Mrs. Henry Withington. 1852.Mrs. Ebenezer Waterman. 1853.Mrs. Henry Withington. 1854-5.Mrs. Samuel Joyce. 1856-8.Mrs. James O. Curtis. 1859-1865.Mrs. Timothy Cotting. 1866-1873.Mrs. George Richardson. 1874-84.Mrs. Albert C. Rogers. 1885-95.Mrs. George Rich
d by its contents. He believed in being his own executor, and for years before his death gave away money from his principal. When the Mystic Church was organized, a method of raising funds was adopted which might shock a modern congregation. A list of the town taxes was presented, and each man was assessed for church purposes in proportion to his property tax. Young men, paying only a poll tax, were assessed according to their ability to get a living. Deacon James and his brother, Deacon Joseph James, headed the list with the largest subscriptions. He never asked anyone to follow where he was not ready to lead. I am afraid that in his connection with the founding of the churches I may have emphasized too much what his enemies called bigotry, and have not made plain enough to those who never knew him the Christian character of the man. He did nothing for effect. He was like a general who was willing to move the position of his troops, if necessary, but did it with his colors
of the pulpit. The walls were frescoed, and there was a conventional dove over the pulpit. Mr. Southworth and his family sat in a side pew on the east. Mrs. Charles Cushing of Pleasant street and her son sat on the opposite side. Their pews were at right angles with the rest. On the east side I remember the Binney, Clough and Sables families. Deacon Galen James' pew and that of the minister were in the body of the house on the east side. On the other side sat Messrs. Elisha Hayden, Joseph James, Eleazer Boynton, Mr. Nahum Mitchell and the two deacons John and Jotham Stetson, with their families. In west wall pews sat Mr. John Russell, Mr. William Haskins and Captain Redman. These were all neighbors of ours in the church, for we sat in the front pew. The pews were yellow with trimmings of dark wood. The cushions were light brown or gray. Miss Abby Stetson was my first Sunday-school teacher. When she married, Miss Maria Stetson succeeded her. The infant room was where it is n
diness to proceed to the election. Mr. Tomlin moved that the House go first into an election for Superintendent of the Penitentiary. Adopted. Mr. Tomlin inquired whether the Committee to examine into the bonds of candidates, &c., had yet reported, and being answered by the Clerk in the negative, moved a postponement of the election until Thursday, March 20th. Adopted. Mr. Carpenter offered a bill on authorizing County Courts of Alleghany county to impose a tax upon dogs. Mr. James moved to amend the bill by extending its provisions to Botetourt. Adopted, and the bill ordered to its engrossment. A bill was called up providing that any Senator or Delegate who shall, without the consent of the House of which he is a member, absent himself from its deliberations, he shall be deemed guilty of a breach of his privilege, and that no member shall hereafter absent himself from the Assembly without first obtaining the consent of the House of which he is a member. T
1 2