hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 29 results in 9 document sections:

instant, proceeding agreeably to orders, I bivouacked three miles beyond Gauley River; on the morning I marched all day without interruption, but learned that Gen. Jenkins with two thousand five hundred men, in addition to Col. Dunn's force, occupied the country before me, stationed as follows: Col. Dunn's command between Lewisbument cavalry at Meadow Bluffs, pasturing horses, with a battalion of four hundred cavalry on the wilderness road as guard ; a small force at White Sulphur, and Gen. Jenkins with the remainder of his command on Muddy Creek, eight miles from Lewisburgh. I, however, pushed forward until within three miles of Williamsburgh, where I came upon a wagon train belonging to General Jenkins's command. They were encamped for the night, intending to load with wheat the following day. I surrounded and captured the whole, consisting of prisoners and property as follows : Nine prisoners, namely, J. L. Evans, captain and acting assistant commissary; Wm. L. Evans, wagonm
ed of detachments from the following regiments, namely:  Commander.No. Men. First Indiana Cavalry,Capt. Walker,300 Ninth Illinois Cavalry,Major Birge,150 Third Iowa Cavalry,Major Scott,188 Fourth Iowa Cavalry,Capt. Perkins,200 Fifth Illinois Cavalry,Major Soley,212      1,050 The above I formed into one brigade under the command of Colonel Hale Wilson, of the Fifth Illinois cavalry.  Commander.No. Men. Sixth Missouri Cavalry,Major Harkins,150 Fifth Kansas Cavalry,Lieut.-Col. Jenkins,208 Tenth Illinois Cavalry,Capt. Auderson,92 Third Illinois Cavalry,Lieut.-Col. Ruggles,200 Second Wisconsin Cavalry,Lieut.-Col. Sterling,225      875 The last-named were placed under command of Colonel Thomas Stephens, Second Wisconsin cavalry. As soon as possible after landing, I took up my line of march for the interior, and went into camp for the night, about eight miles from the Mississippi River. I took with me no baggage or tents of any kind, and about three da
xious for the adventure, and Colonel Wolford, though almost past riding from his wound, was ready and eager for the execution of any plan they might adopt. It was finally arranged that seven hundred men, under Lieutenant-Colonel Stewart, should undertake the affair. Two hundred and fifty of Wolford's regiment took the advance under that daring officer, Capt. Adams, and the others were to support him--two hundred and fifty from the Second Indiana, and two hundred of the Third Kentucky. Captain Jenkins, since killed in the battle of Chaplin Hills, Lieuts. Coppage, Vandike, Paukey, Dick Beattie, and Sergeants Humphrey and Kimbrel, led the detachments from their several companies. Lieut.-Colonel Stewart planned the attack and Captain Adams executed it. As the enemy was known to be on the alert and using the utmost vigilance to prevent a surprise, the most difficult part of the affair was the capture of the pickets so as not to give the alarm. Lieut. Coppage and Sergeant Humphrey, wi
Doc. 153.-raid upon point Pleasant, Va. Cincinnati commercial account. Point Pleasant, Va., April 2. General dissatisfaction is expressed at the distorted account of the late attack upon this point. The facts are these: Jenkins, with four hundred and eighty-one men, with others in reserve, came down the Kanawha on flatboats from Buffalo, to within a mile of this place, landed his men, and attacked, at ten A. M., the Point from three directions simultaneously, and so suddenly that his advance was within effective range of the court-house, situated in the centre of the town, before the alarm was given. Captain Carter, of company E, Thirteenth Virginia volunteer infantry, commanded the post, and instantly rallied his fifty men from their camp to the court-house, where for more than four hours he successfully thwarted every essay to capture them. When summoned to surrender, he replied: Go to----! Take me if you can! They then, by threats of burning the town, induced s
cis County, between Colonel Carter's Texas Rangers and the Fifth Kansas cavalry, under Lieutenant-Colonel Jenkins. On the morning of the sixth ultimo, an expedition left this point, having for its niform coat — confederate, of course. On the morning of the eighth the Colonel sent Lieutenant-Colonel Jenkins, with the Fifth Kansas, off the road about eight miles, for the purpose of getting a cthe Texans. Colonel Clayton stopped here with the First Indiana and the artillery, sending Colonel Jenkins forward to Taylor's Creek, five miles distant, with the Fifth Kansas and Fifth Illinois. sonorous volley informed us that they had replied with their double-barrelled shot-guns. Colonel Jenkins immediately rode to the front, and the regiment came up at a sharp gallop. They found the it they were beaten. Colonel Clayton defeated them at Taylor's Creek, with the First Indiana, and Colonel Jenkins at Mt. Vernon with the Fifth Kansas--a punishment they will not soon forget. O. S.
severely wounded as to leave me without the benefit of their valuable assistance for a considerable time. I desire also to make mention of Capt. N. J. Bolton; Lieut. Daniel Smith; Lieut. Fred. T. Butler, and Assistant-Surgeon T. C. Williams, who were severely wounded while engaged in the gallant performance of their duty. Adjutant S. R. Henderson, and Capt. Hugh Irwin; Lieut. Smith, company C; Capt. F. M. Downey; Lieut. Frank Robbins, commanding company F, after Lieut. Baldwin fell; Capt. Chas. Jenkins; Capt. John B. Hutchens; Capt. Benj. F. Summers and Capt. Redburn, with their subordinate officers, are deserving special notice for the ability and zeal with which they performed their duty. The men, without exception, did gallant service, and stood up to the galling fire of an over-whelming force for three hours and twenty minutes, like veterans, and Indiana and the country generally may well feel proud of the gallant men engaged in the greatest battle of the war. My loss in k
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 35. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Roster of the companies. (search)
Ky., December 30, 1862. Privates—Lewis Ashcraft, Jacob Alexander, Philip Breakhill, James Browning, John Browning, Benjamin Browning, John Benson, E. C. Claypoole, Thos. Chisholm, Amos Coats, Isaiah Coates, Robert Cusik, Robin Cocks, W. H. Coldiron, John Fitch, died in Camp Douglas, December 13, 1864, of chronic diarrhoea; John Fraley, Pat Hamilton, Adolphus Hamilton, George,Hayes, William Hunt, Jacob Hurst, died in Camp Douglas, March 9, 1864, of smallpox; Thomas Kelley, John Judd, Charles Jenkins, William Lewis, Wm. Louderback, V. B. McCoy, Wesley Meadows, captured at Springfield, Ky., December 30, 1862; Henry McMahon, George Maddox, William Maden, died in Camp Douglas, January 31, 1865, of heart disease; Josiah Maddox, William Maden, Jesse Newby, James K. Newby, died in Camp Douglas, March 27, 1864, of smallpox; Daniel Rice, Marion Rice John Ryan, Merritt Roberts, Mack Roberts, Squire Roberts, George Sims, John Simons, Shelby Taylor, Pope Wade, James Webb, Augustus Wood, J. M.
Presentments. --The Hustings Court Grand Jury yesterday presented the following persons for keeping ordinaries without licenses viz; Jon. Augustine, J. L. Austin, John P. Ballard, Thos. E. Ballard, Clodomer Burtoz, C. Burging, Jos. H. Crenshaw, (2 cases,) Froman & Anderson, Jno. A. Faris, Patrick Fennesy, Wm. D. Goods, Wm. H. Haymond, Jos. Hulchor, C. Keanzle, R. F. Kirby, F. Link. hauer, Jos. Rankin, B. Shafer, B. W. Totty, F. N. Usher. The following persons were presented for misdemeanors, viz: Chas. Jenkins, Patrick Barnett, Levi Bendicks.
ten bars of lead from the Government Laboratory, was yesterday sent on to the Hustings Court and admitted to bail for his appearance. Wm. Hammon, implicated in the same transaction, was discharged. Henry Bradford, charged with making an assault upon Wm. W. Grey, was sent on for indictment, and required to give security in the sum of $300 to keep the peace. This difficulty occurred at the Theatre on Monday night. Stephen Page, charged with stealing a coat, valued at $15, from Charles Jenkins, was remanded for trial. Jere Conners, for threatening to shoot Francis J. Hyde, and to destroy his property, was required to give security to keep the peace. James H. Keyser, charged with firing a pistol in the streets, was remanded for indictment. Aun Leary, arrested for assaulting and beating a warrior named Wm. T. Grimes, was discharged from custody. Wm. Combs, free negro, received sentence of twenty lashes for stealing a jar of brandy peaches, wherewith to grace