Your search returned 263 results in 94 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
haping Lincoln's fortunes. It is Denton Offut, a brisk and venturesome business man, whose operations extended up and down the Sangamon river for many miles. Having heard glowing reports of John Hanks' successful experience as a boatman in Kentucky he had come down the river to engage the latter's services to take a boat-load of stock and provisions to New Orleans. He wanted me to go badly, observes Hanks, but I waited awhile before answering. I hunted up Abe, and I introduced him and John Johnson, his step-brother, to Offut. After some talk we at last made an engagement with Offut at fifty cents a day and sixty dollars to make the trip to New Orleans. Abe and I came down the Sangamon river in a canoe in March, 1831; landed at what is now called Jamestown, five miles east of Springfield, then known as Judy's Ferry. Here Johnston joined them, and, leaving their canoe in charge of one Uriah Mann, they walked to Springfield, where after some inquiry they found the genial and enter
killing two rebels and wounding a third. One of the slain was a sergeant of the Letcher Guard. The rebels beat a hasty retreat. The firing having been heard by the Union troops, a detachment of Zouaves and another of the Fourth Pennsylvania Regiment reinforced the pickets, and followed in the trail of the rebels for some distance, finding four rifles and three revolvers, which the latter threw away in their hasty flight. One of the revolvers, very valuable, was marked with the name of John Johnson, a former living in that vicinity, who is a noted rebel. The Pennsylvanians behaved with great spirit and with the coolness of veterans, boldly holding their position, though wounded, in the hope of being reinforced.--N. Y. Herald, July 1. John Williams, who behaved so bravely in the skirmish at Matthias Point, carrying the American flag out of the fight in safety, though it was completely riddled with bullets as he went, was promoted to the post of Master's Mate for his gallant con
July 29. Major-General Pope, accompanied by his staff, left Washington for the headquarters of his army in the field. Before his departure he ordered that passes to the lines of his forces should not be granted to others than those having official business there.--John Johnson, an alleged rebel officer from New Orleans, was arrested at Roxbury, Mass., and committed to prison.--The English brig Napier was captured by the United States steamer Mystic, while endeavoring to run the blockade of Wilmington, N. C. A skirmish took place at Mount Stirling, Ky., between a number of the citizens of that place and a force of about two hundred and forty rebel guerrillas, resulting in a complete rout of the latter, with a loss of about seventy-five of their number in killed, wounded, and prisoners.--(Doc. 164.) A fight occurred near Bollinger's Mills, Mo., between a force of Union troops, under the command of Captain Whybank, and a body of rebel guerrillas, under Major Tenley, resu
e. But we had the pleasure of burning two vessels under her nose — the brig N. B. Nash, from New-York, and the whaling schooner Rienzi, from Provincetown; but the crew, however, had left when they saw us burn the brig. We showed the crew of the Nash the steamer Ericsson making tracks for New-York. With a sad heart we left the Ericsson and steered for Bermuda, at which place we arrived on the sixteenth instant, and as soon as we coal we leave this place for a cruise, and you and your readers may be assured that the Florida will sustain her reputation, and do all she; can to annoy the Yankees. Hoping this will meet your approbation, I close. Respectfully, etc. The following is a list of the deaths on board the Florida, since she commenced her cruise: Seaman John Johnson, liver complaint; seaman Isaac White, lost overboard; seaman John Lohman,consumption; Surgeon Grafton, drowned near the line; James Sudley, steward; Paymaster Lynch, died at sea, of hemorrhage of the lungs.
the First In. diana cavalry, with Clarkson's and Stange's batteries, the whole under Colonels Merrill and Clayton, was organized to pursue vigorously the next morning. My losses do not exceed seventy killed and wounded. That of the enemy is not yet known. Among their killed is Colonel Corley, commanding General Dodbins's former regiment. My whole staff--Lieutenant-Colonel Caldwell, Captains Hadley, Gerster, Lieutenants Montgomery, McGunnegle, Gray, Sprague, and Surgeon Smith, Quartermaster Johnson, and Captain Thompson, Commissary Subsistence-served me faithfully throughout the day. The brigade commanders, especially Colonel Glover, of the Second brigade, and Ritter, of the reserve brigade, deserve honorable mention. Colonel Glover deserves, for his services throughout this campaign, promotion to the rank of a general officer. Lieutenant-Colonel Caldwell, whose untiring devotion and energy never flagged during the night or day, deserves for his varied accomplishments as a
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., chapter 1.1 (search)
was slow and cautious. They dreaded the rope obstructions which were known to be connected with heavily charged torpedoes. In commenting on this passage Major John Johnson says in a letter to the editors: After the most thorough study of all the evidence, I am convinced that there were no torpedoes in connection with those ropgive the morning and evening salute to the Confederate flag, still floating to the breeze. Major The first breach in Fort Sumter. From a photograph. Major John Johnson writes to the editors that the photograph was taken on September 8th, 1863, during a heavy engagement between the iron-clad fleet and the forts on Sullivan'guenin, who was fortunate enough to escape uninjured and only left the fort at its final evacuation on the 17th of February, 1865. Another gallant officer, Major John Johnson, of the Confederate States Engineers, was of much assistance in the defense of the ruins, and remained therein while they were held by us. The instructio
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., The Confederate defense of Fort Sumter. (search)
The Confederate defense of Fort Sumter. by Major John Johnson, C. S. Engineers. My first recollections of Fort Sumter date back to my boyhood, about 1844, when the walls had not yet been begun, and the structure was only a few feet above high-water mark. Captain A. H. Bowman, of the Corps of Engineers of the United States Army, was in charge of works in Charleston harbor, and it was my fortune to visit the fort very frequently in his company. A year and three months of my life were afterward spent in the fort, as engineer-in-charge, during the arduous and protracted defense by the Confederate forces in the years 1863 and 1864. In the beginning of 1863 the fort was garrisoned by the greater part of the 1st South Carolina regiment of artillery, enlisted as regulars, and commanded by Colonel Alfred Rhett, Lieut.-Colonel Joseph A. Yates, and Major Ormsby Blanding. The drill, discipline, and efficiency of the garrison were maintained at the height of excellence. A spirit of em
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., The boat attack on Sumter. (search)
ade that day. On the 13th of April, 1863, Beauregard announced to the War Department that he had obtained a key to the signals, but suspected deception. Major John Johnson writes to the editors that advantage was taken of the signals in preparing to resist the assault on Wagner, July 18th, and the boat attacks on Cumming's Poit Sumter, in September. On the other hand, General W. B. Taliaferro, who commanded on Morris Island at the time of the attack on Battery Wagner referred to by Major Johnson, states in the Philadelphia times, November 11th, 1882, that the Union signals were not interpreted on that occasion.--editors. Sumter was accordingly reenforced, Major John Johnson says of this statement: Sumter was not reenforced; but on the night of September 4th--5th, Rhett's enfeebled garrison had been relieved by Major Elliott and the Charleston Battalion of infantry, 320 strong. No troops after that date were sent to the fort before the boat attack on September 8th. and, when
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. Volume 4., The army before Charleston in 1863. (search)
from it or open the way to a successful assault. After the first assault Battery Wagner was inclosed [see p. 23]; it reached entirely across the island from water to water; it mounted some heavy guns for channel defense, and several siege-guns that swept the narrow beach over which we would have to approach from the south; and a large bomb-proof shelter afforded the garrison absolute protection when the fire became so hot that they could not stand to their guns or man the parapet. Major John Johnson writes to the editors that the heavy guns for channel defense consisted of two 10-inch Columbiads; also, that absolute protection was afforded to about 600 men, little more than half the garrison. To us the place presented the appearance of a succession of low, irregular sand-hills like the rest of the island. Battery Gregg, on the north end of the island at Cumming's Point, was known to be armed with guns bearing on the channel. Of one important topographical change we were entirely
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 8: capture of Fernandina and the coast South of Georgia. (search)
it was deemed impregnable to the assault of a naval force armed with the heaviest guns then in use, 32-pounders, and he would have been astonished if he had been told that in a few years a rifled projectile would be invented that would bore through his walls and crumble them to pieces. The guns used by the naval detachment were three 30-pounder Parrots and one 24-pounder James. Commander Rodgers speaks in high terms of the officers and men. Lieut. Irwin, Acting-Master Robinson and Midshipmen Johnson and Pearson, Lewis Brown, Captain of the Forecastle, and George H. Wood, Quartermaster. There were many gallant affairs constantly occurring, in which reconnoitering parties from the Navy were concerned, and they gave the enemy no rest. In these affairs the Army participated whenever an opportunity offered; and here we would remark, that at no period during the war was there a more cordial co-operation between the Army and Navy than while Flag Officer Dupont commanded on the Southe
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...