Your search returned 44 results in 19 document sections:

1 2
nd fines. We therefore find additional cause for lamentation over the loss of our early records, which would have explained the facts of their condition, and also proved to us how devotedly they attended public worship in the neighboring towns when they were not able to support a minister within their own borders. So soon as they could pay a clergyman,--yes, long before they could do it without extreme anxiety,--they made provision for their spiritual nurture and their growth in grace. Johnson, in his Wonder-working Providence, says:-- It is as unnatural for a right New England man to live without an able ministry, as for a smith to work his iron without fire. Their wakefulness and zeal are proved, in the surviving records, by their unanimity in causing each person to contribute his share; and their intelligence and justice appear in harmonizing differences which unhappily arose between them and one of their temporary teachers. June 2, 1641: The General Court say:--
n Languages. Admission to the regular College course. Applicants for admission must produce certificates of their good moral character. If they come from other colleges, certificates also of their regular dismission therefrom are required. For admission to the Freshman Class, an examination must be well sustained in the following studies:-- Latin: Virgil's Bucolics, Georgics, and six books of the Aeneid; Caesar's Commentaries, or Sallust; Cicero's Select Orations (Folsom's or Johnson's edition); Andrews's and Stoddard's Latin Grammar, including Prosody; Arnold's Latin Prose Composition, to the Dative. Greek: Felton's or Jacob's Greek Reader (or four books of Homer's Iliad, with three books of Xenophon's Anabasis); Sophocles', Crosby's, or Kuhner's Greek Grammar, including Prosody; Arnold's Greek Prose Composition, to the Moods; Writing of Greek Accents. Mathematics: Arithmetic; Smyth's Algebra, to Equations of the Second Degree. History: Modern Geography; Worcester's
he town who paid taxes on estates, we may see clearly the cause of delaying such an expenditure, without supposing any lack of interest in piety or the church. The spot on which the first house stood is now occupied by a cottage, owned by Mr. Noah Johnson, in West Medford. The passage-way, which was closed by the gate mentioned in the vote, still exists as a way to another house in which Mr. Johnson now resides. This spot, consecrated by the prayers and worship of our ancestors, is about twMr. Johnson now resides. This spot, consecrated by the prayers and worship of our ancestors, is about twenty rods east-north-east from the crotch of the two roads,--one leading to Woburn, the other to West Cambridge. The meeting-houses of this period were generally square, or nearly so. Some had spires, and were of two stories, with galleries. The one in Medford was nearly square, of one story, and without spire or galleries, but its windows secured with outside shutters. The roof was very steep, and its humble appearance (twenty-seven by twenty-four) can be readily imagined; and, if it had
any years the pottery business. Tanning was vigorously pursued, with a great outlay of capital, by Mr. Ebenezer Hall, on land a few rods south-west of the Episcopal church; and by Mr. Jonathan Brooks, on land near Marble Brook, now owned by Mr. Noah Johnson. The first tan-yard in Medford was on the corner lot south-east of Whitmore's Bridge. It was bounded on the east by the brook, on the west by Lowell Street, and on the north by High Street. It was last owned by Mr. Nathan Tufts and Mr. Jonarade it as the banner, and under it to unite in celebrating the fifth fishermen's jubilee on the river. June 6, 1639: It is ordered that all wears shall be set open from the last day of the week, at noon, till the second day in the morning. Johnson, in his Wonder-working Providence, says, The Lord is pleased to provide for them great store of fish in the spring-time, and especially alewives, about the bigness of a herring. Many thousands of these they use to put under their Indian corn.
lothing and furniture25 E. T. Hastings — Fences, $30 ; fruit-trees, $100; fruit, $20150 J. B. Hatch — Fences, $5; fruit-trees, $75; fruit, $25105 Nathaniel Tracy — Fence10 John W. Hastings — House and fence25 Rev. John Pierpont--Buildings, $500; fruit-trees, $100600 Heirs of Jonathan Brooks — Buildings and fences, $677; fruit-trees, $500; ornamental trees, $200; fruit, vegetables, and hay, $80; carriages and hay-rack, $1751,632 Alfred Brooks — Buildings, $350; fruit-trees, $100450 Noah Johnson — Buildings, $445; hay and grain in barn, $40; ox-wagon and farming-tools, $42527 James Wyman — Fruit-trees30 Moses Pierce — House25 John V. Fletcher — House, $25; fruit-trees, $2045 Joseph Swan — Fruit-trees20 P. C. Hall-Fruit-trees, $920; ornamental trees, $50; fruit, $801,050 Jonathan Porter — Fruit-trees, $75; fruit, $35110 William Roach — Fruit-trees25 Dudley Hall — Fruit-trees25 Samuel Kidder — Buildings, $50 ; fruit-trees, $400; ornamental trees, $50
26, 1831, Helen M. Wilder, who d. Sept. 8, 1835; 2d, Caroline L. Blanchard, Mar. 9, 1837, who d. Mar. 14, 1839; 3d, Jan. 26, 1841, Jane E. Bartlett, by whom he has--  8-9Caroline Louisa, b. Sept. 12, 1846.  10Elizabeth B., b. Nov. 3, 1848.   Is now a citizen of Medford.  1Reed, Henry, b. Jan. 27, 1785; m., Aug. 23, 1810, Hannah S. Greenleaf, who was b. Apr. 5, 1784. He d. Oct. 13, 1827, and had--  1-2Hannah M., b. June 23, 1811; m. Noah Hathaway.  3Susanna E., b. Feb. 15, 1813; m. N. Johnson.  4Martha W., b. May 30, 1817; d. July 12, 1817.  5Henry F., b. June 15, 1818.  6Isaac R., b. Dec. 17, 1820; m. Mary Merrill.  7Rebecca G., b. Sept. 1, 1823.  1Reeves, John, embarked, Mar. 16, 1634, aged 19, for New England, on board the Christian, from London, and settled in Salem, where land was granted him in 1643. His first wife was Jane----; and 2d, Elizabeth----. His children were--  1-2William.  3Freeborn, b. Mar. 10, 1658.  4Benjamin, b. Dec. 30, 1661. 1-2Willia
Hall, 36, 51, 52, 96, 158, 317, 351, 501, 502, 570. Hammond, 44. Hancock, 202, 213, 527. Harris, 527. Hathaway, 527. Haywood, 36. Higginson, 12. Hill, 36. Historical Items, 478. History, Civil, 93. ------Ecclesiastical, 200. ------Military, 181. ------Natural 21. ------Political, 143. Hobart, 37. Holden, 52. Hosmer, 293, 302. Howard, 17. Howe family, 528. Hutchinson, 31, 200. Hutton, 538. Indians, 72, 80. Ingraham, 439. Johnson, 6, 15, 31, 44, 67. Josselyn, 1. Justices of the Peace, 169. Kenrick, 528. Kidder family, 528. Kidder, 112, 225, 483. Knox, 529. Labor in Vain, 7. Lands unappropriated, 105, 107. Laribee, 530. Lawrence family, 529. Lawrence, 104, 233, 302. Lawyers, 308. Leathe, 265, 530. Le Bosquet, 485. Letter, 495. Lexington Fight, 151. Libraries, 294. Light Infantry, 189. Lightering, 392. Lincoln, 30. Locke, 530. Lyceums, 295. Lynde, 44.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
end that said schoolhouse be removed and put on to said corner of the Town's land by the poor house . . . expense of removal not to exceed $10 by the Town. Nathan Wait, Nathan Adams, and George B. Dexter were made a committee to carry out this vote. Something went wrong, for at another meeting called July 29, 1831, Jonathan Brooks, Nathan Wait, and Joseph Swan were made a committee to consider location, and practically the same vote was passed, and again Nathan Adams, Nathan Wait, and Noah Johnson were appointed a committee to move the building. The total cost of the removal was $119.32. This lot was near the corner of Canal and High streets. The next building came in 1833, when on April i the town voted to build a school house in the Eastern district not to exceed $400 in the whole expense thereof to the town. Elisha Stetson, Galen James, and John Sparrell were the building committee. This house was on Riverside avenue. In the next year, 1734, we reach one of the most imp
and married Samuel Swett. Her daughter married the artist, Mr. Francis Alexander. The granddaughter of Lucia Gray is Francesca Alexander, the talented translator and illustrator of Roadside Songs of Tuscany. It was Ruskin's enthusiastic appreciation of her work that made the name of Francesca widely known. She is a cousin of Mrs. Edwin N. Hallowell of Medford. Catherine Thompson, born June 24, 1784, was the daughter of Ebenezer and Katherine Thompson; married November 15, 1808, to Noah Johnson of Woburn. Fanny Tufts, born January 14, 1789, was the daughter of James, Jr., and Elizabeth Tufts. Sarah Lloyd Wait, born November 29, 1785, was the daughter of Nathan Wait; she married, October 19, 1806, Thomas Symmes; afterwards, November 13, 1821, John Howe, and lived where the Centre Grammar School now stands. She has one son living, Mr. George Howe of Lunenburg. Harriet Wait, her sister, born December 19, 1788; died August 19, 1813. Of Mary Warner, I find nothing defini
ohn, Jr., 1717, 1718, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1726. Francis, Capt. Thomas, 1783, 1784. Frost, Rufus, 1811. Goldthwait, Benjamin, 1760. Goldthwait, Charity, 1761. Hall, John, Jr., 1702, 1703, 1704, 1705, 1706. Hall, John, Sr., 1696, 1700, 1701. Hall, Stephen, 1697, 1698, 1699. Hawkes, Jonathan, 1755, 1756, 1757, 1758. Hills, Ebenezer, 1773. Hyde, James, 1818, 1819, 1820. Jaquith, Elizabeth, 1808, 1809. Jaquith, John, 1805, 1806. Jaquith, Moses, 1826, 1827. Johnson, Josiah, 1805, 1806, 1807, 1808, 1809, 1810. Jones, William, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765, 1766, 1767. Kendall, Samuel, 1828, 1829, 1830, 1831. Kimball, John, 1754. King, Isaiah, 1820. Lathe, Francis, 1714. Lealand, Abner, 1758, 1759. Mayo, Seth, 1812, 1813, 1814, 1815, 1816, 1817, 1818. Mayo, Seth and Rufus Frost, 1810. Mead, Israel, 1759, 1760, 1761, 1762, 1763. Moore, Augustus, 1768. Peirce, Lydia, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1726. Peirce, Nathaniel, 1707, 1708, 1709,
1 2