Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: September 16, 1861., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for David Jones or search for David Jones in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

ent taking part therein. John Hampton was committed to jail as a vagrant. Edward Sullivan, for stealing two watches from Adam, a slave, was remanded to prison. Mickleberry Yarbrough was sent to jail for being drunk and lying on a sidewalk. George Black was sent on for examination on the charge of stealing a watch valued at $150 from James Broderick. Joseph Reller, for stealing six dollars from John O'Brien, was recommitted. John Murphy, John Burns, Wm. Flinn, David Jones, Charles Flannagan, and Alfred Murray, charged with drunkenness and creating disorder, were discharged on the application of their officers. Michael Finney, Michael O'Regan, and a number of other soldiers were sent to jail, to be examined further this morning. Thomas G. Ellington, who professed great penitence, and said he had been in the army of the Northwest, was discharged upon his promising future good conduct. George W. Johnson was committed to jail for being drunk and
Michael Mitchell, charged with unlawfully shooting and wounding Joseph White, (or Charles O'Riely,) was up before the Mayor on Saturday. The evidence showed that Mitchell, accompanied by another soldier, had been detailed by his commanding officer to arrest and bring to camp a deserter; that he had succeeded in capturing the recusant, and while returning with him to camp, was met by the wounded man; that a quarrel, or at least some high words, ensued between the two; that Mitchell warned the other man to desist or he would shoot him, and that he did finally shoot him. Dr. Jones testified that, from an examination of the wound, he was of the opinion that the man had been wounded by both the bayonet and a bullet, which last he thought passed from the front to the rear of the head. Under all the circumstances of the case, and to afford time to learn whether the wounds were likely to prove fatal or not, His Honor continued the case until a future day.