Your search returned 14 results in 4 document sections:

Mayor's Court, Saturday. --Franklin Jones, of company G, Fifteenth Virginia battalion, was charged with robbing J. H. Dilks of six hundred dollars in Confederate money forty or fifty dollars and a new suit of clothes. The robbery was perpetrated last Wednesday night at the house of Ann Thomas, on Cary street. Dilks had gone to bed, and while asleep his room was entered through the window and the articles carried off. Suspicion pointed to Jones, as he had been for several days loitering about the promises in company with another man; but before the robbery was discovered, the accused had left the house in which he was when Dilks retired for the night,train brought down a man who had not the proper papers about him; he was taken before Assistant Provost-Marshal Doswell, and upon investigation, it turned out that Jones was none other than the man who had committed the robbery alluded to above. When arrested, the prisoner had on Dilks's lost suit of clothes, as well as the gold w
en from Mr. Paleske.--The negroes were ordered to be whipped. Mrs. Horseapple, who was a young and good-looking German woman, whose husband was stated to be "in Europe," was held to bail for her appearance before the Mayor this morning. Franklin Jones, Tenth Virginia battalion, was sent on to the Hustings Court for breaking into the house of Anne Thomas, on Cary street, and stealing from Harry Dilkes, of the Caskie Rangers, his clothing (greatcoat and boots included), his gold watch and chain, and about $900 in money. While Dilkes was asleep in a room in Anne Thomas's, the window of the room was cut through and a clean sweep of his clothing and effects made. All the stolen property, even unto the boots, were found upon Jones when arrested two days afterwards on the Central train. Joseph Johnson and Barney O'Neil were charged with garroting John Stokes and robbing him of eighty-two dollars, a neck handkerchief and a hat. Stokes, a paroled prisoner, a soldier of a Lou
Judge Lyons's court. --William L. Carroll, one of the parties implicated in the robber of John Werner, some three weeks since, was tried in this court yesterday and acquitted by the jury. The Grand Jury, who had the cases under consideration, returned into court and reported true bills against the following parties: Franklin Jones, charged with burglariously entering the house of Ann Thomas and robbing J. H. Dilkes of a new suit of clothes, a gold watch and chain and $600 in money; Patrick Martin, charged with larceny; and Isaac Jacobs, charged with obtaining money under false pretences. The court thereupon adjourned till o'clock this morning.
Judge Lyone's Court, yesterday. --Patrick Martin, indicted for stealing a mule, valued at one thousand dollars, the property of the Confederate States--acquitted. James H. Saunders, indicted for stealing brass from the Confederate States Arsenal — found guilty and sentenced to six years confinement in the penitentiary. Franklin Jones, indicted for burglariously entering the house of Ann Thomas and stealing from James A. Dilkes a gold watch and chain, five hundred dollars in money, and a suit of clothes — convicted by the jury and sent to the penitentiary for seven years. Alfred Moss, convicted last week of the larceny of medicines, received his sentence to one year's imprisonment in the penitentiary. The court will sit this morning at 10 o'cloc