Your search returned 19 results in 9 document sections:

so, God grant them a safe and speedy arrival on this side the river. Our neighbors have burnt a good deal of powder to-day in doing honor to a stranger flag. Wander if they'd salute a Confederate flag, if a fellow were to carry one out? Gracious, and wouldn't they! The Continentals were out again this evening, practicing with their rifle cannon at a target anchored a mile and a half in the bay. The shots were excellent. It is said, but on what authority I know not, that old Jones, who was arrested in Mobile for trading with the fleet, is now on board of one of the ships in the squadron. He was once a Pensacola pilot. P. S. --At seven o'clock this evening the Vanderbilt left her anchorage, and is now close under the guns of Fort Pickens. A few minutes later and the Swedish war steamer steamed off to the eastward. Pensacola,June 27. --For the last two days we have been favored with cool, refreshing showers, and all fear of sickness, from the long drought ha
Inquest. --The city coroner, assisted by High Constable Freeman, a few days since, held an inquest over the body of Michael Jones, the soldier who was found so badly cut in the abdomen in an alley north of Cary street, on the night of the 2d inst., and who was taken to the Medical College for treatment. The clue was found to the party who inflicted the fatal cut. The jury brought in a verdict in accordance with the facts above set forth.
ighly delighted at the appearance and manœuvres of the troops. I believe, however, the Eighteenth Mississippi Regiment was not reviewed in line. The General and staff rode through the camp and were rather reviewed by the regiment themselves. Enough, however, was seen of this noble body of men to satisfy the general officers that it is composed of the right kind of material. In fact, this regiment will compare favorably with any I have seen from any quarter, and my belief is that Brigadier General Jones will have no cause to regret that he has the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Mississippi Regiments under his command. The only excitement we have had since I last wrote you was caused by the brilliant meteor that made its appearance on Thursday evening, a little after sundown. It was one of the most magnificent specimens of nature's fireworks I ever witnessed, and like its predecessor, the comet, has the reputation of being the harbinger of some grand events. Its course was southe
The Mysterious Murder. --A man named Timothy Cullahan was arrested yesterday by Officers Seal, on the charge of killing Michael Jones, a Texan soldier, some two or three months ago, in Lombard alley. The witnesses are with the army on the coast, and no investigation of the case will be had, probably, until they arrive.
Grand review of the army by the President. Fairfax C. H. Oct. 3. --President Davis, is accompanied by Generals Johnston, Beauregard, and Smith, and their Aids, had a grand review of the troops this morning. General Walker, Longstreet, Cocke, and Jones were out with their brigades; also, Major Walton's battalion of Washington Artillery. The day was beautiful, and the troops were in high spirits. It was a magnificent affair, and occupied three hours and a half. The President left for Manassas at 5 o'clock this evening, en route for Richmond. The Yankees have made no further advance. The Federal flag can be seen on Taylor's hill. A column of smoke is still rising from the neighborhood of Falls Church. Bohemian
meagerness of the docket yesterday morning astonished even the magistrate himself; yet it was to that worthy gentlemen a pleasing reflection that during the previous night no deed of dreadful note had disturbed the peace of fair Richmond's inhabitants, and that the laws enacted for the control of the "drunks, vags, and disorderly," had not, to any extent, been violated, so far as the police record set forth. Timothy Callahan, who was arrested on Thursday, charged with the murder of Michael Jones, a Texan soldier, was brought up from the station-house, but the witnesses being absent, the case was continued until the 10th instant, and the prisoner committed to jail. Thomas Lillis, charged with receiving $170 in money, alleged to have been stolen from Elizabeth Demelman, was again arraigned, but at the request of the prisoner's counsel, the investigation was adjourned over to this morning, to give him an opportunity to procure testimony. Esau, a slave, the property of Mar
The Mysterious Murder. --Timothy Callahan, charged with killing Michael Jones, a Texan soldier, on the 30th of June last, was again before the Mayor yesterday. The witnesses are in service at Pig Point, and, although they have been written to, none of them have yet made their appearance. The Mayor, therefore, continued the case to Monday next, and admitted the accused to bail in the sum of $1,000.
fidence of his brigade, but the reputation with all portions of the army here of being a splendid officer. The 44th regiment, (Col. Scott's,) except Company A and a portion of Company B, detatched from the regiment and under the command of Major Jones, was directly in front of the batteries of the enemy, and stood the brunt of the constant and heavy fire to which they were subjected without flinching, and with anxiety to meet the enemy. Col. Scott, this staff, officers, and men, behaved wigallantry, as did Lieut. Col. A. G. Taliaferro, commanding the 23d regiment, his officers and men. We predict for Cols. Scott and Taliaferro a brilliant military career. Too much praise cannot be awarded to Capts. Shumaker, Rice, Deshier, Anderson, Lieut. Wooding, Sergeant Jones, and private Brooks, of Capt. Rice's company. Captain Rice, while nobly encouraging his men, had his leg carried away by a round shot. Our loss was small, and that of the enemy was very great. Greenbrier River.
The Mysterious murder. --Timothy Callahan, charged with the murder of Michael Jones, a Texan soldier, on the 30th of June last, again appeared before the Mayor yesterday, in accordance with the conditions of his bail bond and the prisoner's counsel, M. Johnson, Esq. expressed his readiness to proceed with the investigation. The Mayor stated that he had issued the warrant for the arrest of Col. lahan upon evidence which seemed to justify it, but all his efforts to procure the attendance of witnesses, who were somewhere in the army, having proved ineffectual, he would no longer hold the prisoner under this warrant Callahan was thereupon discharged from custody, and the homicide remains as much involved in mystery as ever.