of them as are now made are from sources then not available.
This book is especially noteworthy and creditable, as its various writers were all Medford people and (as we were told) all its mechanical features were executed by Medford men doing business in Boston.
Also, in 1905, the Mercury issued a Twenty-fifth Anniversary number, dating from its establishment by Mr. Lawrence, and not from that of the Chronicle of 1872, whose interest and good will it had acquired by purchase.
William Preble Jones succeeded Captain Pitman in the editorial sanctum, until the sale of the paper to Claude David in 1912. Mrs. David was his associate editor, but neither succeeded in revolutionizing Medford during their management.
The city hall project was much in evidence, and the old one which had been the town hall of the grandfathers was continually maligned in the weekly issues.
An automobile gift project, which did not materialize, was somewhat exploited, and soon after, the paper came in