town during the war for State aid to the families of volunteers, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $629.90; in 1862, $1,581.31; in 1863, $2,411.06; in 1864, $2,782.43; in 1865, $2,400.00. Total amount, $9,804.70.
Incorporated June 21, 1765.
Population in 1860, 1,075; in 1865, 994.
Valuation in 1860, $392,972; in 1865, $367,216.
The selectmen in 1861 and 1862 were A. L. Tyler, L. B. Rice, Samuel Potter; in 1863, A. L. Tyler, Hart Leavitt, Samuel Potter; in 1864, A. L. Tyler, Matthew Kingman, L. B. Rice; in 1865, A. L. Tyler, L. B. Rice, Horace H. Mayhew.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer in 1861 was F. W. White; in 1862, 1863, and 1864, Gustavus A. White; in 1865, Horace H. Mayhew.
1861. No action appears to have been taken by the town, in its corporate capacity, in regard to the war during this year.
1862. March 3d, Four hundred dollars were appropriated for aid to the families of volunteers residing in the town