hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 5. 5 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 5 results in 2 document sections:

with Mr. Fred H. Fletcher, superintendent, and the school has continued to meet there, except during the summer months. The present superintendent is Mr. Chas. F. Weeks, Miss Andrews being secretary and treasurer. The expenses are met by some half-dozen residents and the weekly offerings. About the time the school was organized the Rev. A. B. Moorehouse started services which were held in the home of Mrs. Kendall, and these services have been continued at intervals in Amaranth Hall by Rev. E. P. Lee of West Somerville and the Rev. F. I. Paradise. The Department of work. A church cannot be considered a place of rest; the love of labor and self-sacrifice are essential attributes of the Christian character. The methods for the exercise of these qualities have changed from time to time, but at every period the church has sought not only to be a place of worship, but a centre of missionary and philanthropic activity. In 1872 this work was organized into a society known as the Pa
ted that the State colors were sent home, there not being enough men to protect two flags. February 3, 2d Lieut. Wm. McDevitt of Woburn was transferred from Co. K and placed in command of the remnant of Co. C, and continued until the surrender of Lee, when Capt. Hutchins returned to the company. March 29 the spring campaign opened. The 39th were sent out as skirmishers, but were driven back, leaving dead and wounded behind. Aaron Tucker and George Graves were taken prisoners in this engagemcluding battle as members of Co. C. Of these, only Royall S. Carr, Henry A. Ireland, Emery Ramsdell and Edwin F. Kenrick were members of the original Light Guard which volunteered its services to the selectmen, July 30, 1863. The regiment, after Lee's surrender, marched back toward Petersburg, and on April 21 made camp at Black's and White's station, where many officers and men, paroled prisoners, joined their commands. May 9 the regiment crossed the Rappahannock for the tenth and last tim