ishop Meade's well-known work on "The Old Churches and Families of Virginia."
The manuscript commences abruptly with the name of "Hugo de Lega, or de Le," without date.
The first name with date is that of John de Lee, Miles, to whom Hugo de Hinton gave the lands, as by the old chart.
Opposite this name is the date 1333.
The father of John de Lee was Thomas de la Lee. The simple name of Lee occurs first as Ricardus Lee, of Langly, about the year 1500.--The first name of Robert is Robertus de la Lee, son of John de la Lee; he married Margarita, daughter and heir of Thomas Astly, of Nordly, about 1400.--The first name written in English is Thomas Lee, of Cotton, in King's Nordley, in the Parish of Alvely, who was the son of Johannes Lee.
There are several coats of arms on the manuscript.
That of Ricardus Lee, of the direct line, is as follows: A shield with a crescent of a squirrel sejant, eating a nut or flower; a lion in rampant guardant in sinister chief; a star in precise