Incorporated April 7, 1855.
Population in 1860, 2,343; in 1865, 2,622.
Valuation in 1860, $1,575,166; in 1865, $1,830,829.
The selectmen in 1861 were James C. Carleton, Charles F. Johnson, Nathaniel Gage; in 1862, J. Osgood Loring, Charles F. Johnson, Nathaniel Page; in 1863 and 1864, James C. Carleton, Charles F. Johnson, Daniel Carleton; in 1865, Charles F. Johnson, Nathaniel Gage, Benjamin P. Saunders.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer in 1861, 1862, and 1863, wy while drilling, and ten dollars a month from date of muster in until discharged.
This company was raised, but for some cause was not accepted; and the men joined other companies then recently in camp. George Davis, Moses T. Stevens, and J. Osgood Loring were chosen to act with the selectmen in the disbursement of the money which the treasurer was authorized to borrow.
1862. July 28th, Voted, to pay a bounty of two hundred dollars to each volunteer who shall enlist for three years within