Your search returned 2 results in 1 document
y the town for the payment of State aid to the families of volunteers during the four years of the war, and afterwards reimbursed by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $80.36; in 1862, $1,867.56; in 1863, $4,859.71; in 1864, $4.300.00; in 1865, $3,400.00. Total amount, $14,507.63.
Incorporated June 22, 1739.
Population in 1860, 2,136; in 1865, 1,967.
Valuation in 1860, $976,256; in 1865, $1,323,883.
The selectmen in 1861 were Daniel Fairchild, William Darbe, Reuben Lynch; in 1862, 1863, and 1864, Henry M. Burrell, William Darbe, Henry D. Palmer; in 1865, M. Warner, Mason Van Deusen, Carlton Curtis.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was E. Seymour.
The town-treasurer in 1861 was Nathan A. Waters; during the years 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, E. Seymour.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 3d of May; at which it was voted to borrow, not exceeding two thousand dollars, for the purch