the ancestor of the worthy family of the name in this country, emigrated from Norwich, England, to Virginia in 1665, and settled in Henrico county in 1668.
In the records of the county, of date October 1, 1692, appears the following:
John Pleasants, in behalf of himself and other Quakers, did this day, in open court, p'sent ye following Acc't of ye Quaker places of public meeting in this county, viz.: Att our Public Meeting House. † Thomas Holmes [presumed to be the minister]; Att Mary Maddox's, a monthly meeting; Att John Pleasants'. These are directed to be committed to record as the Act of Parliament enjoins, they being the places of public worship.
† John Pleasants, Henry Randolph, C. C. Record-book Henrico county, page 352.
The Record-Book of the Henrico meetings of the Society of Friends from 1699 to 1746 is preserved.
At a monthly meeting of the Society of Friends held March 3, 1700, it was agreed with John Pleasants to build a new meeting-house 30x70 feet in