anuscript, and held her hearers with strong interest.
April 20 Moses W. Mann, who has given of himself so much to our Society, and is the indefatigable editor of the Register, read a paper on Medford Bells, some thirty-six in all, containing, as all his papers do, a fund of information.
Mr. Elisha B. Curtis and others gave personal reminiscences on the subject, and also of the Medford family noted for their skill in ringing bells and entertaining exhibitions of the same.
May 18 Charles Edward Mann, President of the Malden Historical Society, gave an informal talk on Sam Walter Foss as he knew him in early life, when both were beginning on journalistic careers and undertaking literary work.
This interchange of courtesies with our neighbors is a happy phrase of our work.
Mrs. Augusta A. Brigham, now of Malden, formerly of Medford, a member of this Society, gave a paper before the New England Historic Genealogical Society this season, and she acquitted herself so creditably th
ith reverent thought their good we hold, Though changed be wood, and field and hill, To us it is Old Medford still. How best to show the love we bear And others lead, our work to share, To safely guard through fleeting time, The treasures that deserve a shrine, This building to such work we give, Historic Medford long shall live.
—C. H. L.
The congratulations of neighboring societies were extended in felicitous addresses by Hon. James Parker Parmenter, President, of Arlington; Charles Edward Mann of Maiden; and in absence of President Carpenter, by Albert L. Haskell of Somerville.
The President then read a list of the contents of the copper box to be deposited beneath the stone:—
First and latest issue of the Register.
Latest issue of Mercury, Messenger and Review.
Boston Transcript, September 29.
Medford City Manual, 1916.
Historic Festival—On the Banks of the Mystic.
List of members at present date, September, 1916.
List of Presidents of the Society.
no walking out from Boston for exercise.
Jonathan Porter would look with delight upon the elm arched vista of Forest street, and turning about find his old home, the only thing of that day remaining, changed somewhat, but still recognizable.
Col. Fitch Hall could find the old mansions a little way up High street. Both did well in projecting and building the Andover Turnpike, one hundred and fourteen years ago.
An older scrap.
At the May meeting of the Historical Society, President Charles E. Mann of the Malden society read an interesting paper with the now world famous caption.
The scrap of paper in that case we reproduce in this issue.
The Edward Collins named therein was Medford's first land speculator—who purchased the Cradock farm.
It is significant that the dwelling was styled Medeford House.
Henry Dunster (first president of Harvard College) also mentioned therein and associated with Collins—owned the land and dwelling on the opposite side of the river (now Arlin
ception: the curator and librarian, Miss Lincoln, was transferred to the vicepresidency, and Vice-President Remele was chosen to take charge of our library and collection.
February 17. Rev. G. Bennett Van Buskirk of Trinity Church gave a timely and interesting talk on Three Eminent Americans—Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt.
Light refreshments were served by the Hospitality Committee.
March 17 proved a cold and disagreeable day, affecting the attendance in some measure.
The President read a paper of local interest, The Story of an Ancient Cow Pasture, which was supplemented by reminiscences by members.
Sag-my-nah Council, Camp Fire Girls, of West Medford, transferred their meeting to our assembly hall, an enjoyable occasion, and fully noted in the Register.
May 19. President Charles Edward Mann, of Malden Historical Society, presented an interesting story of A Scrap of Paper, in which a number of Medford and Malden men—long dead and gone—figured not a l