eir contributing to recruit the army) contributed in cash fifteen hundred dollars; and the ladies of the society in cash, garments, and sanitary stores, five hundred dollars, making a total of two thousand dollars. The above does not include what was done in aid of the freedmen.
Incorporated July 3, 1782.
Population in 1860, 866; in 1865, 725.
Valuation in 1860, $558,854; in 1865, $604,617.
The selectmen in 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, were John Danforth, Jr., Andrew Mansfield, William Skinner.
The town-clerk during those years was John Danforth, Jr. The town-treasurer during the same period was Jonathan Bryant.
1861. The first town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 6th of May, at which a sum not to exceed two thousand dollars was appropriated for the use of soldiers who may enlist, and in aid of their families living in the town.
1862. On the 28th of July the town voted to pay a bounty of one hundred and fifty dollars