Mr. Danforth retired from the service, and for many years was Judge of Probate, Judge of Common Pleas, and member of the Council.
All the others seem to have adopted teaching as a temporary expedient, while studying some other profession, or waiting for more desirable employment.
There are now engaged in the service of the city three veterans, whose lives have been devoted to this work, and whose terms of service commenced as follows:— Aaron B. Magoun, Harvard Grammar School, 1838.
Daniel Mansfield, Washington Grammar School, 1842. Benjamin W. Roberts, Allston Grammar School, 1848.
In addition to these should be mentioned Dr. Alvah C. Smith, who was compelled by the failure of his health in 1872 to resign the office of Grammar Master, to which he was elected in 1845.
He served the city two years afterwards as teacher of penmanship.
The first school-house known to have been erected in Cambridge stood on the westerly side of Holyoke Street, about midway between Harvard and Mou