lies and dependants of volunteers, and which was afterwards reimbursed by the Commonwealth, was $1,625,184.18. Total amount, $3,034,720.23.
The following is the record of each city and town in the county:—
Incorporated April 29, 1668.
Population in 1860, 3,877; in 1865, 4,210.
Valuation in 1860, $1,302,864; in 1865, $1,677,632.
The selectmen in 1861 were William J. Boardman, David M. Tukesbury, Frederick A. Sargent; in 1862, William J. Boardman, David M. Tukesbury, Nathan Martin; in 1863, David M. Tukesbury, Phillip Osgood, Daniel Gould; in 1864, William J. Boardman, David M. Tukesbury, W. F. M. Huntington; in 1865, David M. Tukesbury, W. F. M. Huntington, S. S. Blodgett.
The town-clerk during all these years was Joseph Merrill.
The treasurer in 1861 was William F. Vining; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, E. M. Morse.
1861. On the 27th of April a town-meeting was held, at which a preamble and resolutions prepared by William C. Binney were adopted.