uring the four years of the war, for State aid to soldiers' families, and afterwards refunded by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $242.88; in 1862, $2,297.84; in 1863, $3,044.57; in 1864, $2,721.34; in 1865, $1,300.00. Total amount in four years, $10,606.63.
Incorporated March 14, 1793.
Population in 1860, 1,533; in 1865, 1,650.
Valuation in 1860, $646,771; in 1865, $675,997.
The selectmen in 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, were George W. Fisher, John Burt, Orin Martin.
The town-clerk during the same years was E. F. Nickerson, and the town-treasurer during the same period was R. M. Cole.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters relating to the war, was held on the 18th of May; at which it was voted to authorize the selectmen to borrow or raise money sufficient to carry out the provisions of the recent act of the Legislature in relation to the payment of State aid to the families of volunteers.
1862. On the 28th of July a special