hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore) 37 1 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 36. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 14 0 Browse Search
George Bancroft, History of the United States from the Discovery of the American Continent, Vol. 6, 10th edition. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 53 results in 15 document sections:

1 2
t them, save by dismounted cavalry as skirmishers against skirmishers. They were very profuse of their shells and canister, however, and opened whenever any of our cavalry approached near enough. Many of our men were wounded by canister-shot, a thing almost heretofore unknown in cavalry fighting. At one time, on the left of General Ames's brigade, the rebel cavalry skirmishers had advanced and concealed themselves in some bushes, where they were annoying a body of the Ninth New-York. Major Martin, of that regiment, was finally ordered to take a squadron and drive them out. This he most gallantly did, though it was right in the teeth of the enemy's artillery, and he was met by a perfect storm of canister. He captured fifty prisoners, but owing to the severity of the enemy's fire, could bring but a portion of them away. The gallant Major was himself wounded in the shoulder. About one o'clock Buford again began to press the enemy, and this time he showed evident signs of uneasin
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore), Casualties in the First New-Jersey cavalry. (search)
of the railroad, having forced the troops occupying the ground to retire. Captain Martin's two guns, with the First brigade, were ordered forward, and took a positition of our own artillery. The enemy dashed upon this battery, commanded by Capt. Martin, with great fury, and killed and wounded nine of the men at the guns with th if time permitted. One of the most remarkable, perhaps, was a dash made by Major Martin, of the Ninth New-York cavalry, in Gen. Buford's command. In front of theire, the line of skirmishers extending from one point of woods' to the other. Major Martin was ordered to sweep in this line of skirmishers. He did so by making one o by Capt. Hanley, to clear one point of the woods of the enemy's carbineers, Major Martin, with three companies, dashed across the open space, in rear of the skirmishe spot was covered by artillery and the carbines of an immense rebel force. Major Martin had two men killed and several wounded. He escaped with a severe flesh-woun
; Fifth regiment Md. V. I., Capt. Holton; battery D, First Virginia artillery, Capt. Carlin; company K, First Virginia cavalry, Lieut. Dawson; companies D and E, Third Virginia cavalry, Capt. White. The composition of the Third brigade, Colonel McReynolds commanding, is above given. The heavy guns of the principal fort, consisting of four twenty-pound Parrotts and two twenty-four-pound howitzers, were served by a company of the Fourteenth Massachusetts heavy artillery, commanded by Captain Martin. The command numbered, according to Friday morning's return, six thousand nine hundred men. On Saturday morning, at a few minutes before eight o'clock, my cavalry patrols on the Front Royal road reported that the enemy was approaching in force. Deeming it advisable that under the circumstances the whole command should be united at Winchester, I gave Colonel McReynolds the concerted signal above stated. I immediately sent forward on the Front Royal and Strasburgh roads forces to ob
l of the armament of the works, except one section of a field battery, some two hundred prisoners, and all the enemy's camp equipage. Much credit is due to Captain Martin, commanding regular battery, and Captain Cowen, commanding the New-York battery, for the skill and efficiency with which they worked their batteries. The sevnd men upon it. About eleven A. M. the enemy in force attacked my right centre. This attack was successfully repulsed by a portion of General Neill's brigade and Martin's battery, in which repulse three companies of the Nineteenth New-York and one of the Seventh Maine gallantly captured a stand of colors and between one and two hmon, Fifth artillery, and Captain Rigsby's battery, were largely instrumental in breaking the attack of the enemy's left, and the artillery on our left, under Captain Martin, was used with great effect in checking the advance of the enemy on that point, and afterward in connection with Lieutenant Butler's battery, in wholly breaki
n five and six hundred poor frantic negroes. No sooner had the enemy ascertained that we were retreating than they began to make a movement to cut us off, having been foiled in the rapid execution of their plan of advancing on our rear by the destruction of the bridge. The rebels who had by this time been largely reenforced with cavalry, infantry, and artillery, having six pieces of the latter, followed our retreating column closely. Their force is under-stood to have been composed of Martin's brigade, consisting of the Seventeenth, forty-second, Fiftieth, and Sixty-third North-Carolina infantry; Whitford's battalion of rangers, and a part of Nethercutt's battalion of rangers. The name of their artillery was not known; but it is certain it was handsomely handled, giving our four little pieces all the work they could conveniently do. Their object being to head us off, it was accomplished by nightfall at a point called Tyson's Creek. Here we found that the enemy had destroyed a
Doc. 131.-expedition to Monroe County, Ky. Captain Stone's official report. Glasgow, Kentucky, September 7, 1863. Major Samuel Martin: sir: I have the honor of reporting to you the result of my expedition into Monroe County, Kentucky, having received orders from yourself, on the third instant, to take all the men who had serviceable horses, of your battalion, and proceed to Monroe County, Kentucky, for the purpose of bringing into Glasgow for safety some Government property, said to be deposited on Peters Creek, in Monroe County, Kentucky. I started on the evening of the third instant from Glasgow, Kentucky, with eleven men beside myself. We <*>ravelled fourteen miles that evening and camped for the night. On the morning of the fourth instant we rode into Tompkinsville, where we had some horses shod; then riding out of town two miles, we camped for the night. On the morning of the fifth instant we went to Bethlehem meeting-house; then went to the Widow Lane's, and
supported by the Forty-seventh and Sixteenth Pennsylvania regiments. The Fourth was soon sent out to the right front, dismounted, and thrown forward as skirmishers. Shortly after, the Sixteenth regiment was sent to relieve the First Maine, which had been engaged about two hours, and had expended all its ammunition. As we moved along the road they got our range very fairly, sending their shells in very disagreeable proximity to us. The tall figure of Colonel Gregg, as he and his aid, Lieutenant Martin, and his escort rode along with us, attracted their attention, and wherever he moved thereafter, very leisurely over the field, their shell followed him, the fragments scattering all around; but he appeared to bear a charmed life and escaped unhurt. Three squadrons of the Sixteenth were dismounted and sent forward; Fisher's and McDowell's, under Major Fry, on the right, each officer dismounted, with carbine in hand; and the third, under Captains Swan and Day, on the left; the fourth a
ross, as the officer in command at the ford where the crossing was effected will have to answer for that hereafter, probably before a military tribunal. On the morning of the thirtieth, the enemy crossed in force of four divisions — Wharton's, Martin's, Davidson's, and Armstrong's — the whole under command of Wheeler. When General Crook learned they were across, notwithstanding his precautions, he immediately ordered the regiments on duty above to move down the river and rejoin him, which llant Colonel Monroe, of the One Hundred and Twenty-third Illinois, and formerly from Kentucky, was killed. Colonel Clay (rebel Kentucky regiment) was killed. The prisoners represented twenty-seven regiments — the two divisions of Wharton and Martin having been engaged. General Wheeler had command in person. Among the prisoners were majors, captains, and lieutenants. The First Kentucky Mounted Rifles (rebel)out of eight captains lost six killed. Among the latter was captain William Bowan,<
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 189.-rebel raid on Glasgow, Ky. (search)
Doc. 189.-rebel raid on Glasgow, Ky. Report of Major Martin. headquarters United States forces, Glasgow, Ky., October 9, 1863. Brigadier-General E. H. Hobson, Munfordville, Kentucky: I now proceed to give you the particulars of the recent raid made on Glasgow, Ky., by the rebel Colonel John M. Hughse. On the evening of the thirtieth of last month, I was ordered by Brigadier-General J. T. Boyle to send scouts into the border counties of Kentucky, on the Kentucky and Tennessee Stat hearing that I was pursuing them, they passed on to Kittle Creek, where they stopped and paroled the men. As soon as they crossed Cumberland River, they commenced scattering. My officers state that the rebel officers told them that they had over two hundred men with them when they attacked Glasgow, yet other reports say that there were not exceeding one hundred rebel soldiers in Glasgow. I am, General, your obedient servant, Samuel Martin, Major Thirty-seventh Kentucky Mounted Infantry.
dismounted and thrown out along the river-bank as skirmishers, whilst the Eighth was also dismounted, and ordered to support the battery, which had only four short-range guns, and the enemy opened on us with some twenty pieces of artillery, but our troops gallantly held the ground for several hours, repulsing the charges of the enemy, and gradually fell back on the Fayetteville road, the enemy following, but keeping at a respectable distance. Colonel Gregg had but two aids with him--Lieutenants Martin and Cutler--and both were wounded; the former severely and the latter slightly. Lieutenant Adams, Fourth Pennsylvania; Major Wilson, Eighth Pennsylvania; Lieutenant-Colonel Kettler, First New-Jersey; Major Russell, First Maryland, were wounded; and the loss of the Second brigade, it is thought, will amount to about four hundred and fifty men in killed, wounded, and missing, the Fourth and Thirteenth Pennsylvania regiments suffering most severely. Colonel Gregg is highly spoken of f
1 2