hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
The Cambridge of eighteen hundred and ninety-six: a picture of the city and its industries fifty years after its incorporation (ed. Arthur Gilman) 3 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 3 results in 2 document sections:

ng power of the highest order; believing in the ever-increasing manifestation of the truth of God; anxious to blend the most earnest piety with the most active intelligence; and so to cultivate a deep, enthusiastic, reasonable faith; the Cambridge school stands very high among the powers which bid us hope great things for the work which the servants of Christ will do for his glory and the salvation of the world in the years to come. St. John's Memorial Chapel was built in 1869, by Mr. Robert Means Mason. Lawrence Hall, completed in 1880, is the gift of Mr. Amos Adams Lawrence. Reed Hall, containing the library, was built in 1875, by the founder, Mr. Reed. Four years after, Mr. John Appleton Burnham built Burnham Hall, the refectory. In 1893 Winthrop Hall was built by friends of the school, and was named after the Hon. Robert C. Winthrop, who until his death was president of the board of trustees of the school. The Deanery was given to the school by Mrs. Gray, after the death of
Rev. James Reed of Boston (H. U. 1855); the writer (H. U. 1866) is in immediate charge, and resides upon the Greenough estate. Students in residence generally live in the Sparks house, which has also two lecture-rooms. Beside the students in Cambridge, there are some who follow the course in their distant homes, especially as a test of their fitness to become regular students. The school gives its diploma to full graduates; other students receive a certificate of work performed. The funds of the school, like all else in connection with it, are merely sufficient for present needs; but, as the chairman of the trustees, Chief Justice Mason, lately said, Our school is not rich, and it is not poor. At the time when the Cambridge location was decided upon, such generosity as the university has shown was not expected; but the original good reasons for the step have been augmented by the general kindness which has been shown to the school by all with whom it comes into contact.