hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 18. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 2 0 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 3 results in 2 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 18. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 5 (search)
ed to it. We had been halted in the timber, just out of sight of the enemy, some twenty minutes, when we heard the rattle of musketry, and a few minutes later the order came to fall back to the right and left of the road to let the hearers of Captain Johnston pass by. He had received two severe wounds while making a daring reconnoissance, and was borne back to Plan Del Rio and placed in the most airy house in the village, where I also was borne five days later, being severely wounded. Stevens Mason, captain of the Rifles was taken there also, and a few days after Lieutenant Darby (John Phoenix) was brought in and laid on a cot by my side. A disciplinarian. The rooms were separated by partitions of reeds, which admitted the passage of air and sound. And we could converse from one room to another. Darby's coarse humor was irrepressible. Nothing could stop it, and it gave annoyance especially to Captain Johnston, who was as pure as a woman in word and thought. But he lay qui
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 27. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.47 (search)
neral Maury graduated in June, 1846, and was attached as second lieutenant to the Mounted Rifles, now the 3d cavalry. The regiment was commanded by Colonel Persifer Smith. General Taylor was then winning his victories in Mexico. Excitement in the country was at a high point. This was especially true among the cadets, and Lieutenant Maury was delighted with the prospect of fighting. He sailed from Baltimore on the trig Soldana, with a squadron of the Mounted Rifles on board, under Captain Stevens Mason. Rough weather was encountered, the vessel was unseaworthy, and it was the thirty-second day after leaving Baltimore before Point Isabel was reached, long after the transport had been reported lost with all on board. The squadron was marched overland to Monterey, where it entered the command of General Zachary Taylor, who had just captured the city. Lieutenant Thomas J. Jackson had charge of the siege pieces, which the Rifles escorted from Point Isabel to Monterey. The Mounted