imbursed by the Commonwealth, was one million eight thousand and fifty-six dollars and eighty-one cents ($1,008,056.81). To this should be added $165,750.41, raised by voluntary subscription for war purposes.
These make an aggregate of $2,496,500.67.
The following is the war record of each city and town in the county:—
Incorporated Feb. 22, 1765.
Population in 1860, 2,108; in 1865, 2,153.
Valuation in 1860, $752,839; in 1865, $789,081.
The selectmen in 1861 were Simeon Merritt, Jesse Parker, Isaac D. Ward; in 1862, Jesse Parker, Isaac D. Ward, William P. Ellis; in 1863, Isaac D. Ward, Perley Howe, Elbridge Stimson; in 1864, Ohio Whitney, Jr., Marshall Wetherbee, Nathaniel L. Eaton; in 1865, Charles F. Rockwood, William F. Burrage, John E. Woodward.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was Jerome W. Foster.
The town-treasurer in 1861 was Europe H. Fairbanks; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, Elbridge Stimson.
1861. The first legal town-meeting to