hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register 197 11 Browse Search
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill) 6 0 Browse Search
The Daily Dispatch: January 25, 1861., [Electronic resource] 4 0 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 15. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 209 results in 21 document sections:

1 2 3
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), Some thynges of ye olden tyme. (search)
ent030 Payd to Mrs. Danforth in her husband's absence, in silver, the sume of 25 shillings for wine, sugar and spice at the buriall of Mrs. Chauncy who deseaced the 24 of the 11.67150 In 1668 the second minister of the church, the matchless Mitchel died. He had succeeded to the church and the parsonage and had married the widow of his predecessor. He died in an extreme hot season and there is the record of the payment to goodman Orton of Charlestown for making a carpaluing to wrap Mr. Mitchell and for doing something to his coffing that way 4s. This wrapping was of cloth covered with tar. When the grave was opened a few years ago some remains of the shroud were found, and a quantity of tansy which had been used as a disinfectant. Thus the work of goodman Orton again saw the light. One of the delicate matters in those days was the arranging of people and their names in the proper order. Not until 1773 were the names in the Harvard Catalogue placed in alphabetical order. T
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), Historic churches and homes of Cambridge. (search)
ter dating back to 1759 is preserved by the church. Between Christ Church and the First Parish Church lies the old peaceful graveyard, ablaze in autumn with golden-rod. The yard is fully two hundred and sixty-four years old, and had been used about one hundred and thirty years before Christ Church was built. Here lie Stephen Day, first printer of this continent north of Mexico; Elijah Corlet, first master of the Faire Grammar School; Thomas Shepard, first pastor in Cambridge; also Jonathan Mitchell, Nathaniel Gookin, William Brattle, Thomas Hilliard, and Mr. Appleton; and of the Harvard presidents, Dunster, Chauncy (on whose tomb is a Latin inscription), Oakes, Leverett, Wadsworth, Holyoke, Willard and Webber. Here are also Governor Belcher, Judge Remington, Mrs. Brattle; and under Christ Church is the old Vassall tomb, containing ten coffins-those of the family and also one of the black servants of the family, and one probably of Lieutenant Brown, the English officer who was s
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), A guide to Harvard College. (search)
is occupied by the Cooperative Society, headquarters for books and student's supplies, and contains one lecture room. Passing from the quadrangle between Weld and Gray's we observe on the right a large granite building. This is Boylston Hall, the chemical laboratory, and was built in 1857. On the wall facing the street is a tablet which informs the reader that- Here was the Homestead of Thomas Hooker 1633-36 First Pastor at Newtown Thomas Shepard 1636-49 John Leverett 1696-1724 Jonathan Mitchell 1650-68 President of Harvard College First & Second Ministers of Edward Wigglesworth 1726-68 the First Church of Cambridge First Hollis Professor of Divinity & Edward Wigglesworth 1765-94 Second Hollis Professor of Divinity As we proceed on our walk Gore Hall, the Library, comes into view. This imposing granite structure was completed in 1841, a gift from Christopher Gore. The original plan of the building was that of a Latin cross, having octagonal towers at the corners of th
could not in ye extremity of ye pain submitt with cheerfullness to ye will of God; & told us yt God spake many things to him under this exercise. 26d. 6 m.—Mr. Mitchell wth diverse came to visit us; or discourse tended to provoke to give up or selves wholly to Jesus Christ and make him ye whole delight of or souls. Within dent, honest, conscientious, and faithful men. This important committee consisted of four Assistants, four Deputies, and four clergymen, of whom Danforth and Mitchell were of Cambridge. The report was signed by Danforth, and was probably written by him; it is here inserted, as it indicates the skill and firmness with which enr of any who are not chosen by this people according to theire patent, Cambridg the 17th of the 8. 1664. Charles Chauncy. Edward Oakes. Samll. Andrewe. Jonathan Mitchell. Elijah Corlett. Richard Champny. Edmund Frost. Gregory Stone. John Bridge. John Stedman. ffrancis Whitmor. Richard Jackson. Edward Shephard. Gilber
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, Chapter 15: ecclesiastical History. (search)
eover, Mr. Shepard's successor, the matchless Mitchell, prepared in 1658 a manuscript account of Thethe pinning mended. During his ministry, Mr. Mitchell encountered two special trials, namely, the IV., ch. IV., † 10. To the lasting honor of Mitchell and Dunster, it should be remembered that theks from his library. And Mather says, that Mr. Mitchell continued such an esteem for Mr. Dunster, t. It is reported by his biographers, that Mr. Mitchell was a Fellow of Harvard College, 1650, a meIf an Ecumenical Council could be obtained, Mr. Mitchell were worthy to be its moderator. But his lof President Dunster are in fact the bones of Mitchell. They are briefly as follows: About thirty y expensive sepulchre; but, on the other hand, Mitchell died in the meridian of his fame, and left a tructure and adornments of the grave point to Mitchell rather than to Dunster, much more its contentdren. For three years after the death of Mr. Mitchell, the church remained destitute of a pastor;[23 more...]
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, Chapter 17: heresy and witchcraft. (search)
e, that many of the heretical party, in Boston, Salem, Newbury, Roxbury, Ipswich, and Charlestown, were disarmed. Mass. Col. Rec., i. 211, 212. The Cambridge church, however, seems to have escaped infection; and none of its members were included among the disaffected and supposed dangerous class. The vigilancy of Mr. Shepard was blessed ..... for the preservation of his own congregation from the rot of these opinions. Magnalia, ut sup. Nearly twenty years later, his successor, Mr. Mitchell, was sorely tried by the defection of President Dunster from the established faith, as related in chapter XVI. Great excitement followed, both in church and in state; and, as Dunster would neither renounce nor conceal his opposition to infant baptism, he was removed from office as head of the College (designed to be the school of the prophets), and fell under censure of the civil magistrates. Both consequences were natural, and apparently unavoidable. The governors of the College could
in 1668, but the family early left the town. Mitchell. In 1668, he purchased a house and 6 acres nerace, b. 9 Dec. 1648; Grace, b. 1 May 1650. Mitchell (Ch. Rec.) names Ruth as the youngest dau.; phn, bap. by Mr. Hooker, in Camb. about 1635 (Mitchell). Sarah, b. Mar. 1638; Jacob, b. 16 Jan. 1639n his son. Hall, May, a widow, is named by Mitchell as a member of his church. Her children werelliam Hamlet, and whose children, as named by Mitchell (Ch. Rec.) were James Hubbard, Sarah Hubbard, the former residence of Hooker, Shepard, and Mitchell, and afterwards of the Professors Wiggleswortsubject of general and bitter lamentation. Mr. Mitchell succeeded Mr. Shepard in more than one respildren, Benjamin, John, Sarah, and Rachell. (Mitchell.) He was here as early as 1638, when he ownedwas successively occupied by Hooker, Shepard, Mitchell, President Leverett, and the two Professors Went, Cooke as Colonel, and Shepard as Major. Mitchell in his Church Record, commenced in 1658, says[18 more...]
id to have erected, before Philip's War in 1675, a mill, which was very recently, if it is not now, standing. He had a son Michael, and is supposed to have been the ancestor of the large family of his name, in Bedford. 2. Daniel, brother of Michael (2), was early in Bridgewater, and owned land there, which he sold to his nephew, Michael Bacon, Jr., of Billerica. He was one of the jury for laying out highways in 1664, and is mentioned again in 1668, but the family early left the town. Mitchell. In 1668, he purchased a house and 6 acres near Angier's corner, about which time he probably came to Cambridge. His w. was Mary, dau. of Thomas Read of Colchester, Essex Co., England; and their children, recorded here in 1674, but prob. all born in Bridgewater, were Isaac, b. 14 Ap. 1650; Rachel, b. 8 June 1652; Jacob, b. 2 June 1654; Lydia, b. 6 Mar. 1656-7. They had also son John, to whom the father gave deed of land in Watertown, Feb. 1678-9, in observance of the last will and testam
e friend and patron of Mr. Shepard in England, and is affectionately noticed in his autobiography. He went to England in 1658, and in 1665 was residing at Stannaway, Co. Essex, at which date he conveyed his homestead and several lots of land to his son. It is not known that he returned here afterwards. By his w. Elizabeth he had Joseph, b. 27 Dec. 1643; Elizabeth, b. 16 Mar. 1644-5, m. Rev. Joseph Cawthorne of London; Mary, b. 30 Jan. 1646-7; Grace, b. 9 Dec. 1648; Grace, b. 1 May 1650. Mitchell (Ch. Rec.) names Ruth as the youngest dau.; perhaps the second Grace is a mistake and should be Ruth. 3. Joseph, s. of Joseph (2), grad. H. C. 1660 or 1661, and m. Martha, dau. of John Stedman, 4 Dec. 1665, by whom he had John, b. 25 Jan. 1667-8, d. 3 June 1684; Elizabeth, b. 11 Feb. 1669-70, d. 2 Feb. 1687-8; Joseph, b. 16 Sept. 1671; Haynes, b. 1 Feb. 1677-8, resided in Camb., Woburn, and Concord, and was living in 1724; Alice, b——(elder than Haynes), m. Rev. John Whiting of Lancaster
nt to Mr. Cradocke, shall be whipped for uttering malicious and scandalous speeches, whereby he sought to traduce the Court, as if they had taken some bribe in the business concerning Walter Palmer. He prob. resided a few years at Concord, for Mitchell says his son Jabez was baptized there, but was in his minority when his father joined this church. His w. Rebecca d. at Concord 11 May 1647. Before June 1649, he came to Camb. He m. Ellen, wid. of Percival Green, the marriage contract being d9. French, William, by w. Elizabeth, had Elizabeth, b. in England about 1631, m.——Ellis of Dedham; Mary, b. about 1633, bap. in England, between two and three years old at her father's joining; John, bap. by Mr. Hooker, in Camb. about 1635 (Mitchell). Sarah, b. Mar. 1638; Jacob, b. 16 Jan. 1639-40; Hannah, b. 2 Feb. 1641-2, d. 20 June 1642; prob. another Hannah, b. about 1643, m. John Brackett at Billerica, 6 Sept. 1661; Samuel, b. 3 Dec. 1645, d. 15 July 1646. William the f. was a tailor
1 2 3