hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 8 results in 4 document sections:

The Daily Dispatch: June 25, 1861., [Electronic resource], The Fourth of July to be kept in Georgia. (search)
Hungry soldiers going Home. --The Baltimore Sun, of the 21st inst., says: The steamer Elizabeth, which brought up from Fortrees Monroe a large quantity of shell to Fort McHenry, also brought up twenty-six of the members of Bartlett's Naval Brigade. They were in a condition of destitution, but Marshal Kane provided them with quarters at the central police station, and had them comfortably fed, a something to which they had been strangers for some time. They all give a gloomy description of the treatment they received at Fortress Monroe, having been obliged to sleep in the open air, and subsist on a short allowance of the coarsest fare. Since their arrival at the fortress they were put to any laborious work that was done, and to them was assigned the duty of transporting the troops across to Hampton, who engaged in the battle of Great Bethel. They stated that since Saturday last they had not tasted bread, and the only other food they got was a few clams picked up on the
The Daily Dispatch: November 9, 1861., [Electronic resource], The effect of the late storm on the Federal fleet. (search)
furnished the Progress by the same correspondent: Left Fortress Mouroe Tuesday, Oct. 29, on board the U. S. steam transport Union. Had on board 64 horses, several bales of hay, and about 100 cags of cats, 12 gun-carriages, several kegs of powder, 3,000 gallons of water, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 tons of coal, also 4 baggage wago s, several sets of harnes, 2 rified cannon, five or six barrels whiskey, several saddles, and provisions enough to last 15 days. On leaving Fortrees Monroe the ships were formed into three distinct lines. Could not say for certain how many ships were engaged in the expedition — should think there was from 50 to 75 Kept in line through Tuesday; Wednesday afternoon it blew a gaie, and put back to Hatteras Intel, and anchored for the night. Thursday morning clear and pleasant, hauled anchor and proceeded in a southerly direction; at night was in sight of the whole fleet. Friday morning it blew a gale from the sontheast, lasting about 25 ho
Latest Northern news.the Roanoke affair.news from Missouri&c, &c., &c. We are in possession of the New York Herald, of the 10th inst., and the Philadelphia Inquirer of the same date, and from them we make up the following interesting news summary: The Roanoke affair. Intelligence has reached us of the commencement of an attack on Roanoke Island, by Commodore Goldsborough, of the navy, on the morning of Friday, the 7th inst. The account comes through Norfolk and Fortrees Monroe, and is from the rebel General Ruger, commanding at Norfolk. He reports that the Union forces had been twice repulsed, but that fighting was going on when the courier left. Now, as the attack upon Roanoke island was to have been made by the Union gunboats, and a portion of our troops were only to be landed after the batteries had been silenced, we do not see how there could have been a repulse of our forces. The gunboats were all afloat, and could not be repulsed by the forts if the fight was go
rfolk, fought with great heroism at one of the guns. He was in the act of preparing his gun for the only remaining charge of ammunition, when the top of his head was blown off by a shot from the enemy, and he fell dead. It is gratifying to hear that our loss in killed is by no means so great as at first reported. It is believed that it does not exceed forty. The enemy must have suffered very heavily. Indeed, we hear that the flag-of-truce boat, at Norfolk, brought a report from Fortrees Monroe that their loss was 1,500; but this may be exaggeration. Sergeant Merzler states that when he ran along the beach to make his escape, the dead were laying in heaps. We still entertain hopes that Capt.Wise was not killed. It is stated that a dispatch was received in this city yesterday to the offect that his attending surgeon had been permitted to send a message from the Island, containing information that he was alive, though wounded in five places. Our Norfolk correspondent