Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 8. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Morse or search for Morse in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

States of America. Resolved,That we recognize as valid no power or authority which attempts to sever the political connection existing between any State and the United States. The question being upon the adoption of the resolutions, the Rev. J. A. Butler was called out and advocated their adoption in a speech of an hour's duration, replete with patriotic sentiments, humor, sarcasm, and sound and convincing logic. After which the resolutions were adopted unanimously. On motion of Mr. Morse, Mr. Butler was requested to furnish a copy of his speech for publication, which he kindly consented to do. Upon the nomination of Colonel Moore, Rev. J. A. Butler, J. M. Hanks, Esq., J. B. Miles, and Hon. Josiah McKiel were elected delegates to the Convention to be held at Little Rock on the eighth instant, with power to fill vacancies. Upon its being suggested that Judge McKiel was in feeble health, and might not be able to attend the Convention, the Chair remarked that he should p
ive miles. At daybreak, they started in light marching order. The boats were steamed up the Red River, which proved to be extremely tortuous and difficult of navigation. At a point sixty-five miles above the mouth, and twenty-five above Black River, we came upon a small earthwork, without guns, distant by land about five miles from the main fort. Hewn piles and timbers had floated past during the day, preparing us for the evacuation above. Meanwhile the column under General Smith, with Morse's brigade in the advance, made a night march across from Simmsport. Before they had gotten five miles out on their march, they were beset by the enemy's cavalry, which kept harassing front and rear during the entire route. A company of cavalry, under Captain Hughes, preceded the column, skirmishing continually. General F. Kilby Smith, who commanded the division in the rear, was often obliged to form in line to repel their threatened attack. Notwithstanding that a delay of three hours occ