behalf of the soldiers was done by the ladies of Hadley.
Incorporated May 11, 1670.
Population in 1860, 1,337; in 1865, 1,405.
Valuation in 1860, $1,071,747; in 1865, $1,442,691.
The selectmen in 1861 were Roswell Hubbard, Moses Morton, Lemuel Cooley; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, William H. Dickinson, R. H. Belden, J. T. Fitch.
The town-clerk during all the years of the war was W. D. Billings.
The town-treasurer during the same period was D. F. Wells.
1861. The first legal town-meeting to act upon matters relating to the war was held on the 6th of May, at which Moses Morton, William H. Dickinson, George Waite, J. D. Billings, George W. Hubbard, Elijah Bardwell, and Erastus Cowles, were authorized to borrow in behalf of the town not exceeding five thousand dollars, to be expended by them as they might deem expedient on such soldiers from this town and their families as shall be mustered into the United-States service, during the continuance of the present