1, $341.25; in 1862, $3,797.73; in 1863, $5,147.24; in 1864, $3,941.53; in 1865, $2,378.86. Total amount, $15,606.61.
The ladies of Essex formed a Soldiers' Aid Society early in the war, to aid the volunteers and their families, which continued in active existence until the end.
Incorporated April 21, 1838.
Population in 1860, 2,075; in 1865, 1,926.
Valuation in 1860, $730,297; in 1865, $760,473.
The selectmen in 1861, and all through the war, were O. B. Tenney, Sherman Nelson, George W. Sanborn.
The town-clerk for the same period was Charles E. Jewett.
The town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was Lewis H. Bateman; in 1863, William H. Harriman; in 1864 and 1865, George H. Carleton.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to consider matters relating to the war, was held April 30th, at which it was voted to appropriate five thousand dollars for the benefit of such of the citizens as may volunteer in the service of their country during the ensuing years, and their