hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 12 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 14 results in 6 document sections:

ock. March 26, 1638: There is a grant of a thousand acres of land granted to Mr. Mathew Cradock, where it may be had without prejudice to any plantation or former grants, in the judgment of the Court. Also there is granted to Mr. Cradock five hundred acres of land more for such servants as he shall appoint it unto, twenty miles from any plantation, without prejudice to any plantation. June 2, 1641: Mr. Thomas Mayhew and Mr. Joseph Cooke appointed to set out the five hundred acres of Mr. Oldham's for Mr. Cradock near Mount Feake. On the same day, Voted that Mr. Cradock's rates should be forborne till the next ship come, and then it is referred to Mr. Stoughton and Mr. Hawthorne to consider and give order in it. The reader may now be referred to what is said concerning Mr. Cradock's agency in building the first bridge over Mistick River; and, putting those facts with these here stated, we come at the conclusion that Medford should cherish with gratitude the memory of one who
ed to be a remarkably large part of the executive head in the early days. At General Court, held at Newtowne, May 14, 1634, Mr. Thomas Mayhew is entreated by the Court to examine what hurt the swine of Charlestown hath done amongst the Indian barns of corn, on the north side of Mystic; and accordingly the inhabitants of Charlestown promiseth to give them satisfaction. If tradition be true, porcus has long been a singularly troublesome genus to our excellent neighbors. Sept. 3, 1634: Mr. Oldham appointed overseer of the powder and shot and all other ammunition for Medford. General Court, March 3, 1635:-- Whereas particular towns have many things which concern only themselves, and the ordering of their own affairs, and disposing of business in their own town, it is therefore ordered that the freemen of any town, or the major part of them, shall only have power to dispose of their own lands and woods, with all the privileges and appurtenances of the said towns, to grant lots,
thy Bigelow1808. Dudley Hall1813. Abner Bartlett1815. Turell Tufts1824. Thatcher Magoun1825. John B. Fitch1826. John Sparrell1831. Thomas R. Peck1833. Frederick A. Kendall1834. Timothy Cotting1834. John King1835. James O. Curtis1836. George W. Porter1837. Lewis Richardson1838. Leonard Bucknam1838. Alexander Gregg1840. Thatcher R. Raymond1843. Gorham Brooks1846. Joseph P. Hall1847. Thatcher R. Raymond1850. Joseph P. Hall1851. James M. Usher1852. Joseph P. Hall1853. Jonathan Oldham1854. Justices of the Peace in Medford. (from Massachusetts Records.) Thomas BrooksMar. 27, 1781. Benjamin HallMar. 27, 1781. Stephen Hall, 3dMar. 27, 1781. Edward BrooksMar. 27, 1781. Timothy FitchSept. 26, 1783. John BrooksJan. 28, 1785. John BrooksApril 26, 1787. Benjamin HallMar. 14, 1788. Stephen Hall, junMar. 14, 1788. Thomas BrooksMar. 14, 1788. Aaron PutnamJune 25, 1789. Thomas BrooksFeb. 28, 1795. Ebenezer HallApril 16, 1798. Samuel SwanMay 29, 1798. S
ed ten perhaps; m. Mary, dau. of Rev. William Witherell, of Scituate, 1656, by whom he had Mary, Thomas, Sarah, Hannah, Grace, Isaac (2), Ruth, Elizabeth, and Lydia. He d. 1711.  1-2Isaac Oldham, b. about 1670, went to Pembroke about 1703, where he m. Mary Keen, and had two daus., and a son,--  2-3Isaac Oldham, who m. Mary Stetson, and had--  3-4Isaac.  5Hannah.  6Deborah.  7David.  8Jonathan.  9Mary.  10John.  11Daniel.  12Lydia.  13Ruth.  14Abel, of Winchester, N. H. 3-8Jonathan Oldham m. Patience Clapp, of Scituate, and had--  8-15Joseph Oldham, who m. Grace Tilden, of Marshfield, and had--  15-16Joseph, d. s. p.  17Jonathan, m. Eunice Faxon. He had Clara, Loring, and Eunice.  18Grace.  1OSGOOD, David, b. Oct. 25, 1747; m. Hannah Breed, Nov. 1, 1786, who was b. Dec. 28, 1747; and had--  1-2Mary, b. Sept. 12, 1787.  3Lucy, b. Apr. 8, 1789; d. Apr. 22, 1789.  4Lucy, b. June 17, 1791.  5David, b. Dec. 23, 1793; m. Mary Ann Elder.   Park
70. Michelson, 42. Middlesex Canal, 295. Mills, 392. Moore, 36. Mystic Church, 273. Mystic River, 6. Name, 1. Newell, 36, 44. Norton, 74. Nowell, 3, 7, 9, 14, 37, 43. Noyes, 36, 97, 121. Nutting, 531. Oakes, 36. Oldham family, 531. Oldham, 89, 100. Oliver, 538, 570. One Hundred Laws, 101. Osgood, 236, 240, 531. Oysters, 387. Palmer, 37. Parker, 51, 52, 531. Patch family, 532. Paterson, 533. Patten family, 533. Pauperism, 441. Oldham, 89, 100. Oliver, 538, 570. One Hundred Laws, 101. Osgood, 236, 240, 531. Oysters, 387. Palmer, 37. Parker, 51, 52, 531. Patch family, 532. Paterson, 533. Patten family, 533. Pauperism, 441. Peirce family, 533. Pemberton, 36. Pepperrell, 538. Perkins, 534. Perry, 534. Physicians, 302. Pierpont, 262, 312. Polly, 151, 534. Ponds, 5. Population, 451. Post Office, 421. Porter family, 534. Porter, 36, 49, 51, 52, 211, 309. Pounds, 449. Prices Current, 400. Pritchard, 36. Productions, 12. Putnam, 151, 306. Public Buildings, 325. Pynchon, 4. Quincy, 4, 73. Railroads, 57. Raleigh, Sir, Walter, 17. Raymond family, 535. Real
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., Incidents and reminiscences of the Fire Department of Medford. (search)
s in accordance with the act of the General Court. This company voted to disband on the twenty-second day of December, 1859, and so notified the Board of Engineers. Engine No. 4, J. Q. Adams, was located at the Ship Yard nearly opposite Park street, and having no suction hose was used for the watering of ships in course of construction. Engine No. 3, Washington, was organized in 1855, and at a subsequent meeting the following officers were elected: Joseph W. Mitchell, foreman; Jonathan Oldham, first assistant foreman; Almon Black, second assistant foreman; Samuel N. Sylvester, clerk; and Hiram Simmons, steward. They continued their organization till the year 1868. This company was composed of persons who had seen service in the other companies of the department, many of whom were prominent in the higher offices of the town. They also contributed largely in filling the quotas of the town in the Civil War, many never returning to their homes again. Capt. Joseph W. Mitchell