hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 2. (ed. Frank Moore) 16 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 30. 5 1 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Poetry and Incidents., Volume 1. (ed. Frank Moore) 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 23 results in 8 document sections:

lman's division, Wilcox's and Howard's brigades on the right, supported by part of Porter's brigade and the cavalry under Palmer, and Franklin's brigade of Heintzelman's division, Sherman's brigade of Tyler's division in the centre and up the road, whth N. Y. S. M., Col. Lyons. 6. Battalion of Regulars, Major Sykes. 7. First Co. 2d Dragoons; four companies Cavalry, Major Palmer. Total strength, 3,700. The marines were recruits, but through constant exertions of their officers, had been brouness, and heroic fortitude, gave eclat to our attacks upon the enemy, and averted the dangers of a final overthrow. Major Palmer, and the cavalry officers under him, who, by their daring intrepidity, made the effectiveness of that corps all that iy of cavalry attached to my division, which was joined during the engagement by the cavalry of Col. Stanton's division Major Palmer, who cannonaded them, was anxious to engage the enemy. The ground being unfavorable, I ordered them back out of range
; Wm. B. Crandall, Surgeon; John H. Moore, Surgeon's Mate; Henry D. Townsend, Paymaster; Royal B. Stratton, Chaplain. non-commissioned staff.--Fred. C. Tapley, Sergeant-Major; C. F. Moore, Quartermaster-Sergeant; Howard B. Utter, Drum-Major; Chas. C. Fleming, Assistant-Adjutant. Company A--David A. Nevins, Captain; Peter L. Van Ness, First Lieutenant; Chas. L. Jones, Ensign. Company B--Jas. M. Pomeroy, Captain; Watson Hopkins, First Lieutenant; Geo. B. Eastman, Ensign. Company C--Frank Palmer, Captain; Royal Corbin, First Lieutenant; Pliny Moore, Ensign. Company D--Geo. Parker, Captain; Albert M. Barney, First Lieutenant; Robert P. Wilson, Ensign. Company E--John L. Stetson, Captain; Ransom M. Pierce, First Lieutenant; Charles H. Bently, Ensign. Company F--John C. Gilmore, Captain; John A. Vance, First Lieutenant; Jos. Holbrook, Ensign. Company G--N. M. Curtis, Captain; Simon C. Vedder, First Lieutenant; Wm. L. Best, Ensign. Company H--Warren Gibson, Captain; A. M. Barnar
ts appearance the rebel force retreated hastily, and in evident confusion. All the casualties reported at Headquarters on our side are one officer and three men slightly wounded. General McDowell went forward at the head of the centre of the column, the Second division, under Col. Hunter, which was composed as follows:-- First Brigade, commanded by Col. Andrew Porter, United States Army; Capt. Griffin's battery United States artillery; three companies United States cavalry, under Major Palmer; a battalion of several companies of the First, Third, and Eighth United States infantry, under Major Sykes; a battalion of United States marines, under Major Reynolds; and the Eighth, Fourteenth, and Twenty-seventh Regiments of New York Volunteers. Second Brigade, commanded by Colonel A. E. Burnside, of the Rhode Island Volunteers. The First and Second Regiments Rhode Island Volunteers, the Second Rhode Island battery of flying artillery, one section of Captain Barry's battery of Uni
the right. The fire was terrific. We maintained our position for a half hour. Then it was discovered that the rebel cavalry were attempting to outflank our right. We had no force to resist them, and the bugle of the regulars sounded the march in retreat. This, so far as they were concerned, was conducted in good order. On Major Sykes was imposed the responsible duty of covering the retreat of the army. In this he was assisted on part of the route by the United States cavalry under Major Palmer. The enemy followed us with their artillery and cavalry, shelling us constantly, until we reached Centreville. Here we bivouacked for an hour, and then again took up the line of march. But of the retreat let me say a word, and pardon, my dear fellow, this incoherent letter, written in an excited Centreville bivouac, on my sound knee, the other severely scratched. As I said, Major Sykes, with his Third, Second, and Eighth Infantry, in all but eight companies, and they decimated, conduc
early opportunity of determining whether the war is hereafter to be conducted by his forces and partisans in accordance with civilized usages. The shooting of women and children, the firing into the windows of a crowded court of justice, at St. Louis, the cowardly acts of the Lincoln soldiery towards such respectable and patriotic citizens as Alexander Kayser and A. W. Simpson, the arbitrary arrests of ex-Senator Green, Mr. Knott, Mr. Bass, and other distinguished citizens, the murder of Dr. Palmer, the summary shooting of unarmed men in North Missouri, without the form even of drum-head court-martial, and many other transactions sanctioned or left unpunished by General Fremont's predecessors, are barbarities which would disgrace even Camanches. If like acts cannot hereafter be prevented by motives of humanity, considerations of an enlightened military policy may be awakened in him by the retaliation which, in subjection to the laws of civilized warfare, but swift, sure, ample, ster
Albany, N. Y., May 3.--The Northern spirit is illustrated by the following incidents :--A few days since, a company from Ogdensburgh came without orders, the first knowledge of the existence of the company being their presence at Albany. They were inspected and mustered in. Next day, another company from the North Woods came in the same way. Next day, Frank Palmer's company, from Plattsburgh, telegraphed that they were coming, unless forbidden. They arrived, 95 men, immediately after. Yesterday the newspapers gave notice of the Depeyster company, Capt. Curtis, coming. It arrived today, giving the first notice of its existence to the Department. This evening, Capt. Bartlett's company, from Odgensburgh, came the same way. It will be inspected and mustered here. Three hundred and eighty companies are required for the 30,000. To-day there were 415 companies entered.--N. Y. Tribune, May 4.
hich John Eliot had from the Indians in 1655. In Brimfield the path passed Quabaug Old Fort, of which I shall speak again. Thence westward into Monson, the path strikes just south of the Chicopee river at the town line, and follows the river to Palmer, the summit of the path reaching an altitude of eleven hundred feet in crossing the divide between the Quinnebaug and the Quabaug, or Chicopee, watersheds. West from Palmer the way led around the north end of Wilbraham mountains to North WilbrahPalmer the way led around the north end of Wilbraham mountains to North Wilbraham village, whence it passed southwestward into Springfield, opening from the brow of the hill on which now stands the Arsenal. Springfield was a junction of many Indian trails. From the Arsenal one trail led down to the river, through what is now Forest park, to a point opposite the lower mouth of the Agawam or Westfield river, where the highway now crosses, and at which point was an Indian stronghold or fort. At that time (before the Agawam cut through its upper mouth, a century ago) an e
t night, showed that the track was clear from main line trains; two balls gave the right of way to the Medford Branch trains. The trains also whistled for the switch, two long and two short blasts, blown as the outward train reached the dike (Revere Parkway); the inward signal was blown where the Fellsway now crosses the Medford Branch track. During the first twelve years Mr. Ellsworth was alone at the station, opening the station at 6.00 A. M. and closing it at 10.45 P. M. In 1895 Mr. Frank Palmer was appointed baggage master. The older residents of Wellington ever have a warm place in their hearts for Mr. Ellsworth, whose courteous manner and kindly smile made many a dull day seem brighter. In addition to his duties as station agent, Mr. Ellsworth had those of postmaster. He was appointed postmaster July 7, 1883, and the Wellington post office was established July 1, 1883. There was no free delivery in those days. If you wanted to know whether that expected letter had arr