Your search returned 89 results in 26 document sections:

1 2 3
ith the wharf and the lighters, was early opened. No new public roads were opened after these for nearly a hundred years. Oct. 5, 1675, the town passes the following vote: To levy a fine of ten shillings upon any one who shall take a load of earth out of the public road. They also vote, that every man may work out his own highway tax, and they fix the prices for a day's labor of man, and of a man and team. In 1715, Rev. Aaron Porter, Peter Seccomb, Peter Waite, Thomas Tufts, and Benjamin Parker, wish some enlargement of the road near the bridge, they being residents there; and the town direct a Committee to see about the matter. They fix the width of the road at the bridge at two rods and twelve feet; and report the road leading to Woburn wide enough already. Feb. 20, 1746: Several gentlemen of Medford agree to open a road from the market to Wade's bank, or Sandy bank (Cross Street), and build a bridge over Gravelly Creek. It was done; and made a convenient way to the tid
. Willis,Selectmen. Capt. Samuel Brooks, Lieut. Stephen Hall, Thomas Seccomb, Town-clerk. Benj. Parker, Town-treasurer. Joseph Tufts,Assessors. Thos. Brooks, Edward Hall, Stephen Willis, chose Tufts, Simon Bradshaw,Deer-reeves. Joseph Tufts, Dea. Thomas Hall, Sealer of Leather. Benjamin Parker, Sealer of Weights and Measures. Stephen Bradshaw, Grand-juror. Andrew Hall, Esq.,A Commieph Tufts, Committee for Medford. Stephen Hall, Committee for Medford. Caleb Brooks, Benjamin Parker, Benjamin Teal, James Tufts, Ebenezer Marrow, Jonathan Tufts, John Jenks, Robert Crane, Joher Brooks, Treasurer from 1735 to 1743.     Amount paid for town-expenses, 8 years2,26507 Benjamin Parker, Treasurer from 1743 to 1749.     Amount paid for town-expenses, 6 years4,886101 Aaron Haardson1727. Edward Brooks1728. Samuel Brooks1729. Stephen Hall1733. Edward Brooks1735. Benjamin Parker1743. Edward Brooks1750. Thomas Brooks1756. Aaron Hall1761. Thomas Brooks1763. James W
intly, and by the same geographical divisions. 4.Worcester's General History. 5.Algebra, to succeed Arithmetic. 6.Hitchcock's Book-keeping--3 lessons a week. 7.French Language. 2 lessons a week. class 3. 1.Algebra and book-keeping completed; after which,-- 2.Legendre's Geometry. 3.Whately's or Blair's Rhetoric, with Syntactical and Prosodiacal Exercises, and exemplifications of Rhetorical Rules in Reading and other Lessons. 4.Bayard's Constitution of the United States. 5.Gray's or Parker's Natural Philosophy. 6.French Language, continued. 7.Drawing,--two lessons a week. class 2. 1.Davis's Trigonometry, with its applications to Surveying, Navigation, Mensuration, &c. 2.French Language, continued. 3.Drawing, continued. 4.Natural Philosophy, completed. 5.Olmstead's or Norton's Astronomy. 6.Wayland's Moral Philosophy. 7.Paley's Natural Theology. 8.Physiology, commenced. 9.Cleveland's Compendium of English Literature. The Spanish, Italian, or German Languages may be
g; to wit: first, it is wholly contrary to the warrant granted for said meeting; and also, it being contrary to a former vote of the town. John Bradshaw, Selectmen. Thomas Tufts, Selectmen. John Willis. John Richardson. Benjamin Willis. Benjamin Parker. John Bradshaw, jun. Nathaniel Hall. John Grattan. Jonathan Bradshaw. Peter Seccombe. John Hall. Thomas Willis. Peter Tufts. This difference of opinion, running longitudinally east and west, destroyed not the harmony of the town to determine the size and shape of the house were Thomas Tufts, Esq., Captain Ebenezer Brooks, Mr. Peter Seccombe, Mr. John Richardson, Captain Samuel Brooks, Mr. John Willis, Mr. William Willis, Lieutenant Stephen Hall, Mr. John Francis, Mr. Benjamin Parker, and Mr. John Whitmore. They reported that it would be proper for this town to build a meeting-house fifty-two feet large, thirty-eight feet wide, and thirty-three feet posts. This report was accepted, and the same committee empowered to
physician, John Willis, yeoman, Stephen Hall, trader, Stephen Bradshaw, yeoman, Simon Bradshaw, leather-dresser, and Benjamin Parker, blacksmith, on the one part, all of Medford, and owners of land; and, on the other part, Stephen Hall, Samuel Page, and Stephen Willis, of Medford, husbandmen, and Benjamin Parker, of Charlestown, housewright, as undertakers. They, of the first part, give the portions of land they own lying between the market and Cross Street, on condition that they, of the secket to Cross Street, and build a stone bridge over Gravelly Creek. This was introductory to building the tidemill. Benjamin Parker gave the land on which the mill was built,--thirty-one feet long, and twenty-five wide. John Willis and Benjamin PaBenjamin Parker gave liberty to the undertakers to cut a ditch from Gravelly Creek to the mill, and to build a dam. Dr. Tufts, John Willis, Samuel Page, Thomas Oakes, and Nathaniel Hall, bind themselves never to obstruct the free flow of water to the mill. Th
000022000 David Dunster000048000 Jacob Wayman0000010000 Samuel Francis000040000 Samuel Page0000010000 Widow Mary Tufts000012000 John Francis06009110210 Benjamin Parker0300106007 Richard Sprague0600510010 Joseph Tomson060041004 Samuel Brooks, jun.030048037 Total, ninety-eight persons. As a specimen of the town expens Jane Hall. Ebenezer Hall, jun. John Blanchard & James Floyd. Tab. Blanchard & J. Gleason. Ebenezer Hall, 4th. Samuel Coverly. Richard Hall. Parker and Watson. Joseph Pratt. J. Pratt and M. Tufts. Jos. P. Hall. Stephen Hall. Thomas Hadley. James Convers. Jonas Dixon. Duncan Ingraham. The third tavern built in Medford stood on the west side of Main Street, about eight rods south of the bridge, and was the largest in town. It was built by Mr. Benjamin Parker, town-treasurer, as early as 1745, and was sold by him to Hezekiah Blanchard, who added a large dancing-hall to it, and called it Union Hall. He left it to
, David, b. Oct. 25, 1747; m. Hannah Breed, Nov. 1, 1786, who was b. Dec. 28, 1747; and had--  1-2Mary, b. Sept. 12, 1787.  3Lucy, b. Apr. 8, 1789; d. Apr. 22, 1789.  4Lucy, b. June 17, 1791.  5David, b. Dec. 23, 1793; m. Mary Ann Elder.   Parker, Benjamin, who d. Oct. 26, 1761, m. Mary Willis, Apr. 22, 1714. She d. Aug. 20, 1763.  1Patch, Thomas, came from Somersetshire, England, and settled in Wenham, Mass. He had six sons, as given below; and two daughters, names unknown.  1-2Thomas06; 2d, widow Mary Eliot, 1726. He d. s. p., Sept., 1749.  13 Benjamin, b. Oct. 30, 1686; m.Ruth Bradshaw, Feb. 10, 1714, who d. Feb. 19, 1752. He d. Feb. 3, 1767.  14Hannah, b. 1688; m. Peter Seccomb.  15Mary, b. July 15, 1690; m. Benj. Parker, Apr. 22, 1714.  16Stephen.  17Rebecca, m. Thomas Seccomb. 2-6Stephen Willis m. Susanna----, and d. Mar. 15, 1718. She d. Mar. 12, 1742. His children were--  6-18Susanna, b. Nov. 13, 1699; d. Nov. 8, 1700.  19Deborah, b. June 27
7; Gardner, 1721; Garret, 1732; Giles, 1719; Gill, 1738; Goddard, 1745; Gowen, 1773; Grace, 1779; Greatton, 1718; Green, 1785. Hosmer, 1746; Hunt, 1751. Kendall, 1752; Kettle, or Kettell, 1740. Lathe, Laithe, and Leathe, 1738; Learned, 1793; Le Bosquet, 1781. Mack, 1790; Mallard, 1753; Mansfield, 1759; May, 1759; MacCarthy, 1747; MacClinton, 1750; Mead, 1757; Melendy, 1732; Morrill, 1732. Newell, 1767; Newhall, 1751; Nutting, 1729. Oakes, 1721-75. Page, 1747; Pain, 1767; Parker, 1754; Penhallow, 1767; Polly, 1748; Poole, 1732; Powers, 1797; Pratt, 1791. Rand, 1789; Reed, 1755; Richardson, 1796; Robbins, 1765; Rouse, 1770; Rumril, 1750; Rushby, 1735; Russul, 1733. Sables, 1758; Sargent, 1716; Scolly, 1733; Semer, 1719; Simonds, 1773; Souther, 1747; Sprague, 1763; Stocker, 1763; Storer, 1748. Tebodo, 1757; Teel, 1760; Tidd, 1746; Tilton, 1764; Tompson, 1718; Trowbridge, 1787; Turner, 1729; Tuttle, 1729; Tyzick, 1785. Wait, 1725; Waite, 1785; Wakefield, 1
ew, 36. Maverick, 2. McClure, 49. Medford a Town, 119. Melvin, 44. Methodist Society, 270. Michelson, 42. Middlesex Canal, 295. Mills, 392. Moore, 36. Mystic Church, 273. Mystic River, 6. Name, 1. Newell, 36, 44. Norton, 74. Nowell, 3, 7, 9, 14, 37, 43. Noyes, 36, 97, 121. Nutting, 531. Oakes, 36. Oldham family, 531. Oldham, 89, 100. Oliver, 538, 570. One Hundred Laws, 101. Osgood, 236, 240, 531. Oysters, 387. Palmer, 37. Parker, 51, 52, 531. Patch family, 532. Paterson, 533. Patten family, 533. Pauperism, 441. Peirce family, 533. Pemberton, 36. Pepperrell, 538. Perkins, 534. Perry, 534. Physicians, 302. Pierpont, 262, 312. Polly, 151, 534. Ponds, 5. Population, 451. Post Office, 421. Porter family, 534. Porter, 36, 49, 51, 52, 211, 309. Pounds, 449. Prices Current, 400. Pritchard, 36. Productions, 12. Putnam, 151, 306. Public Buildings, 325. Pync
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Committees appointed for the school outside the Neck, together with the annual appropriations. (search)
niel Lamson, Nathaniel Francis, Henry Gardner, John Skinner, Samuel Rand, £ 250, or £ 33. 6. 8. lawful Money. May 20, 1751, Peter Tufts, Henry Gardner, Benjamin Parker, Seth Reed, Joseph Phipps, £ 200. O. T. May 12, 1752, Samuel Bowman, Henry Gardner, Seth Reed, Benjamin Parker, Joseph Phipps, Samuel Kent, £ 200, or £ 26.Benjamin Parker, Joseph Phipps, Samuel Kent, £ 200, or £ 26. 13. 4. lawful money, May 14, 1753, Benjamin Parker, Seth Reed, Samuel Kent, Joseph Phipps, £ 240. We close the list at this point, as by the next May the town of Medford had taken on a more definite form, and Charlestown, in consequence, suffered a considerable diminution in territory. This indefinitely designated localBenjamin Parker, Seth Reed, Samuel Kent, Joseph Phipps, £ 240. We close the list at this point, as by the next May the town of Medford had taken on a more definite form, and Charlestown, in consequence, suffered a considerable diminution in territory. This indefinitely designated locality beyond the Neck, or outside the peninsula, consisting, we see, of distinct communities separated by wide stretches of unsettled or sparsely settled territory, to all appearances, after the vote of May, 1736, amicably portioned out the sums we have quoted above. That each district had a school of its own is not certain, but w
1 2 3