preciative audience, August 16, 1840.
Public worship was continued in the Town Hall with increased interest, young men from the Baptist Theological Institution at Newton officiating on the Sabbath, morning and afternoon, the Sunday-school assembling at noon, and mid-week meetings, which were characterized by their great harmony and devout Christian spirit, were held at private houses.
On July 7, 1841, twelve of this band—Moses Parsons, Robert L. Ells, Lewis C. Santas, Polly Blanchard, Jane Parsons, Ruth Gardner, Catherine Childs, Sally Blanchard, Mary Gage, Mary H. Ford, Hannah D. Stevens and Eliza J. Blood—assisted by the Rev. N. W. Williams, pastor of the Baptist Church in Malden, formed themselves into a Baptist Church, taking the name, the First Baptist Church of Medford, and adopting the articles of faith known as The New Hampshire Articles.
The right hand of fellowship was given by Rev. Mr. Williams, and Robert L. Ells was elected deacon, an office which he held until his de