hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6. 4 0 Browse Search
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 6 results in 2 document sections:

d in his infant church, with great acceptance and success, for nearly five years; when he found that the demands of his family required a larger salary, and he removed to a wider field of labor. He reluctantly yielded to a necessity, and left Medford early in 1846, greatly to the grief of the church. A society was formed to act in concert with the church; and was incorporated, under the general act of incorporation of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, May 29, 1842, on application of Moses Parsons, Lewis C. Sorntas, Robert L. Ells, William Parsons, and others. Many inconveniences were experienced by the church and society from worshipping in a place so common, and appropriated to so many different uses, as the Town Hall. Preparations were now made for building a plain and neat chapel for the better accommodation of the worshippers. The very kind and fraternal feeling of Dudley Hall, Esq., enabled them to secure a convenient and eligible piece of land, adjoining the old buryin
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., The Baptist Church of Medford. (search)
nitarian Congregational, and the Methodist Episcopal Church. In the last-named, however, services had been discontinued—resumed in 1842. Among the little band, still holding their weekly gatherings at the home on High street, in 1840, was Moses Parsons, a man then of advanced age, a member of the Baptist Church in Marshfield, who, with others, was impressed with the need of further church privileges. Encouraged by the sympathy of friends, he obtained the use of the Town Hall for public worthe Sabbath, morning and afternoon, the Sunday-school assembling at noon, and mid-week meetings, which were characterized by their great harmony and devout Christian spirit, were held at private houses. On July 7, 1841, twelve of this band—Moses Parsons, Robert L. Ells, Lewis C. Santas, Polly Blanchard, Jane Parsons, Ruth Gardner, Catherine Childs, Sally Blanchard, Mary Gage, Mary H. Ford, Hannah D. Stevens and Eliza J. Blood—assisted by the Rev. N. W. Williams, pastor of the Baptist Church <