Your search returned 26 results in 8 document sections:

4. Alexander Gregg1845. Henry Withington1847. Peter C. Hall1849. James O. Curtis1850. Peter C. Hall1853. Benjamin H. Samson1855. Names of the treasurers. Stephen Willis1696. John Bradstreet1700. Samuel Wade1709. John Whitmore1714. William Willis1725. John Richardson1727. Edward Brooks1728. Samuel Brooks1729. Stephen Hall1733. Edward Brooks1735. Benjamin Parker1743. Edward Brooks1750. Thomas Brooks1756. Aaron Hall1761. Thomas Brooks1763. James Wyman1767. Jonathan Patten1778. Richard Hall1786. Jonathan Porter1790. Isaac Warren1793. Samuel Buel1794. John Bishop1798. Joseph P. Hall1804. Joseph Manning1808. William Rogers1823. Henry Porter1825. Turell Tufts1827. Timothy Cotting1836. George W. Porter1837. Names of the town-clerks. J. Wade1674. Stephen Willis1675. John Bradstreet1701. Stephen Willis1708. Thomas Tufts1718. William Willis1719. Benjamin Willis1721. William Willis1726. Ebenezer Brooks, jun1728. Benjamin Willis173
April, the Committee of Safety, &c., of the town of Medford have proceeded to take into their care the estates of sundry persons who are deemed inimical to the liberties of America, of which the following is a true account, viz.:-- Of the estate belonging to Joseph Thompson, late of Medford: one piece pasture land, and one piece marsh, which have been leased to Richard Crees, one year, for £ 7. 4s. A shop, leased to William Gowen for 40s. per annum. Half a dwelling-house, leased to Jonathan Patten, one year, for £ 6. 13s. 4d. Two-seventh parts of the following house and lands, being his share of his mother's thirds, undivided and not leased: a piece of plough-land, half an acre; a piece mowing-land, one acre; a wood-lot, four acres; one-third of half a dwelling-house. 197,650 unburned bricks, 1,886 feet pine boards, taken by the army, for which pay is promised. A pew in our meeting-house, not leased. Thirty-two dozen of tile, sold for £ 3. 4s. Of the estate belonging to Sir
he pastor took the first choice, and selected pew No. 27; which thereupon became the minister's pew, owned by the town. The pews in the meeting-house were chosen according to the vote of the town and the tenor of subscription, Feb. 8, 1770, as follows :-- Thomas Brooks, jun.No. 1 John Bishop2 Stephen Hall3 Aaron Hall4 Ebenezer Hall5 John Wade6 Samuel Hall7 Watts Turner8 William Tufts, 3d9 William Tufts10 Simon Bradshaw11 Samuel Angier12 Francis Burns13 Zachary Pool14 Jonathan Patten15 E. Hall16 Nathan Tufts17 Samuel Tufts, 2d18 Benjamin Teal19 Timothy Tufts20 Henry Fowle21 James Tufts22 Richard Hall23 Isaac Hall24 Thomas Seccombe25 Benjamin Hall26 Minister's Pew27 Isaac Royal28 Timothy Newhall29 Peter Jones30 Nathan Tufts, jun.31 Timothy Hall32 Hezekiah Blanchard33 Thomas Patten34 Joseph Thompson35 Henry Putnam36 Seth Blodget37 Willis Hall38 Jacob Hall39 John Leathe40 Samuel Jenks41 Andrew Hall42 Isaac Warren43 Isaac Greenleaf44 Samuel
k a candle, and told the officer to follow him. He led him into his garret, and secreted him behind some old boxes, having made him promise to leave the house at midnight. The officer was perfectly happy, wedged in between the bags and barrels of a dusty garret; and there he lay, in total darkness, till the promised hour, when Mr. Hall showed him the front door; and he went in safety, thanking his generous enemy as the saviour of his life. Jan. 4, 1779.--Our town-record reads thus: Mr. Jonathan Patten says he will use his endeavor that Mr. Foster shall not use any more charcoal in the blacksmith-shop near the bridge; and, if he still persists in using charcoal, that he, the said Patten, will desire Mr. Foster to quit the shop. How Mr. Blacksmith Foster could get along with his work in those days without charcoal, we do not see; and why this municipal interdict, we do not know. Where the town-pump now stands, in the market-place, there was a small pond, whose edges were covered
.   Hannah Bradshaw m. Enoch Greenleaf, Feb. 17, 1726.   Abigail Bradshaw m. Jonathan Watson, Jan. 16, 1729.   Elizabeth Bradshaw m. John Muzzy, July 12, 1709.   William Bradshaw m. Elizabeth Lampson, June 5, 1761.   Susanna Bradshaw m. Jonathan Patten, Apr. 14, 1762.   Stephen Bradshaw m. M. Mansfield, Nov. 22, 1763. (Of Alsbury.)   Susanna Bradshaw m. Timothy Newhall, Nov. 1, 1764.   Elizabeth Bradshaw m. Andrew Floyd, of Roxbury, Oct. 31, 1765.   Simon Bradshaw m. Hannah Johnson, JAug. 28, 1764; and, 2d, Mary Binford, Jan. 8, 1765. He d. Nov. 26, 1786. Children:--  13-14Mary, b. July 10, 1747.  15John Patten m. Priscilla----, and had--  15-16Mary, d. Dec. 29, 1752.   Lucy Patten m. Samuel Hall, Nov. 27, 1751.   Jonathan Patten m. S. Bradshaw, Apr. 14, 1762.   Mary Patten m. Henry Fowle, Jan. 8, 1766.   Mrs. Mary Patten d. Mar. 15, 1773.  1Peirce, Nathaniel, m. Lydia----, and had--  1-2Hannah, b. Apr. 27, 1702.  3Francis, b. Sept. 24
the Fountain. By this sale Mr. Stephen Bradshaw came into the possession of the whole estate. Mr. Stephen Hall, junior, having previously sold his interest in the estate to the Bradshaw brothers. Mr. Bradshaw sold in the year 1765 to Mr. Jonathan Patten. In the year 1775 Mr. Thomas Bradshaw was licensed as an innholder, and from that year until the year 1789, he kept the Fountain Tavern. In the year 1795 Mr. Patten's widow sold to Mr. Nathaniel Hall, from Mr. Hall the estate passed throMr. Patten's widow sold to Mr. Nathaniel Hall, from Mr. Hall the estate passed through the ownership of many different persons, down to the present day. Some of these owning only one-half of the house. There is no evidence that this house was used as a tavern from the year 1734 until the year 1775, when it was occupied by Mr. Bradshaw, although it is very probable that it was sometimes used as a place where liquors were sold, nor is it likely that it was used as a tavern after Mr. Bradshaw's day. The late Mr. Rufus Sawyer took down the old building and erected on its site th
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., Colonial houses—old and new. (search)
ediction on all that pass beneath. Mr. Hooper furnishes the following from Middlesex Registry of Deeds:— Mar. 18, 1768. Jonathan Bradshaw Jr. to Jonathan Patten, a small piece of land with a frame covered with boards, bounded west on Deacon Jonathan Bradshaw and measures thirty feet westerly from said building: east on Woburn road: south on the road to Menotomy: north on the heirs of Benjamin Scolly. (Book 67, page 509.) By the same description Patten conveyed to Thomas Brooks, Jr. (book 84, page 159), and on May 5, 1791, (book 108, page 195):— Thomas Brooks Jr. to Jonathan Brooks a lot of land with house and barn, bounded west on Deahe soon after erected below his father's the little house by the side of the road: the frame covered with boards and filled in with bricks for warmth. Then Jonathan Patten, who married Jonathan Bradshaw, Jr.'s, sister Susannah in 1762, purchased the little gambrel roof frame covered with boards, and built against it the larger s
sed twenty-four acres of pasture land of William Bradshaw, the administrator of Jona Bradshaw's estate. This pasture adjoined no road but was bounded east on Jonathan Patten, north on Ebenezer Brooks, Jr., northwest on heirs of Samuel Brooks, Jr., and west by land lately of the Whitmores. The consideration named was £68s16 to reae hundred and fourteen pounds, conveyed twenty acres upland and meadow south by a lane, east partly by a lane and partly by Timothy Newell, north partly by Jona. Patten and partly by Henry Putnam, westerly by lately Whitmores, southwest by country road or any other way reputed to be bounded. By comparison we conclude that this c to Ebenezer Turell (the Medford minister) whose upland and meadow adjoined. In August, 1773, Putnam sold his pew, number 36, in the third meeting-house to Jonathan Patten for six pounds, describing it as the forty-sixth choice. He was then sixty-seven years old, and probably for eight years a resident of Medford, and had a son