hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 2 results in 1 document section:

Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16., College Hill, or Tufts College. (search)
stablished at College Hill, March 6, 1863, and was for many years located in the railroad station. The office was practically under the jurisdiction of Tufts College, and the appointments of postmasters were made upon the recommendation of its president, and for the most part were given to students who were working their way through college. John A. Whitney was the first postmaster and served until June 1, 1871, when he was succeeded by Benjamin T. White. Mr. White was succeeded by Fred Stark Pearson, September 23, 1881. His mother, Mrs. Hannah A. Pearson, held the commission from the Department, as Mr. Pearson had not attained his majority at that time. Mr. Pearson is well known as one of the best electrical engineers of the country. He electrified the West End Street Railway in Boston, also the Metropolitan Street Railway in New York, and had charge of installing the electric lighting system in the City of Mexico. Mr. Pearson was followed by Julian C. Edgerly, a well-know