nwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $2,366.22; in 1862, $9,171.59; in 1863, $11,990.85; in 1864, $10,462.94; in 1865, $5,500.00. Total amount, $39,491.60.
The ladies of Ipswich formed a large and active association at the beginning of the war to do soldiers' work, which was continued until the close.
They forwarded a great amount of stores to the hospitals for the sick and wounded, chiefly through the Sanitary and Christian Commissions.
The leading managers of the association were Mrs. Lucretia Perkins and Mrs. Robert Southgate, both of whom have died since the termination of the war.
Incorporated as a town April 17, 1847; incorporated as a city March 29, 1853.
Population in 1860, 17,639; in 1865, 21,733.
Valuation in 1860, $10,015,503; in 1865, $11,240,191.
The city officers in 1861 were as follows: James K. Barker, mayor; Morris Knowles, Hezekiah Plummer, Artemas W. Stearns, William Thomas, Archibald McFarlin, Menzies C. Andrews, aldermen.
In 1862, William H.