hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904 6 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 6 results in 3 document sections:

Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Charlestown School in the 17th century. (search)
o teach Lattin, writing, siphering, & to perfect children in reading English. It was passed with a general voat by ye holding up of their hands, as Attests James Russell, Recorder.’ The seventh of April following ‘it was agreed with Mr. Samuel Phips to keepe the Free Schole of this Towneon the terms as was voted at the Towne Meeting (in March), wch is for the Yeare ensuing wch yr begins the 14th of this Instant Aprill. Per John Newell, Recorder.’ March 6, 1681-2. ‘It was agreed with Luke Perkins to inspect ye Youth at the meeting house in time of Worship for this yeare ensuing, for which he is to have £ 3 for this yeare, one-half money & the other halfe Towne pay, provided he be careful in his office.’ It thus appears that the fathers were tired of doing police duty on the Sabbath, and were glad to hire a substitute for about a shilling per week! Perhaps the most interesting item that the records furnish us at this time is the account of the building of a new school building
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Neighborhood Sketch no. 6.
Medford
and
Walnut streets
. (search)
of Cross street, about where Flint street is, the houses of Charles Williams, Horace Runey, a Mr. Appleton, and two or three others along that part of Cross street, and then no buildings till you reached the Galletly Rope Walk, the Towne residence and hot houses off Washington street, the Bailey and Guild houses on Perkins street, with possibly two or three others near by. All between Perkins and Cross streets was pasture land, and one would let down the bars near Mt. Vernon street, on Perkins, and walk unmolested to a point opposite the Runey pottery, where, letting down another set of bars, he would find himself on Cross street. Clay pits were numerous along Oliver street, between Franklin street and Glen. Winter evenings we could see the bonfires lighted by the skaters, and hear their voices plainly. Of the near-by neighbors, I recall Charles Munroe and James S. Runey, who lived opposite us, Frank Russell, whose place adjoined the Munroe estate, forming the corner of Gree
merville Historical Society24, 48, 72 ‘Old Landmarks of Middlesex’87 Old Middlesex Canal, Historical Sketch of49 Old Mill, The13, 66, 81 Old Pound, The26 Oliver Street, Somerville44 ‘Only A Keepsake’9 Otis Street, Somerville44 Oxford, Mass.12 Paine, William64 Parker, Ebenezer, Schoolmaster, 172565 Parks, Thomas38 Payson, Prudence33 Pearl Street, Somerville44 Pellock's Island18 ‘Pencillings,’ Somerville Journal5, 6 ‘Peninsula, The,’ Charlestown15 Pennsylvania, Riflemen of80 Perkins, Luke36 Perkins Street, Somerville44 Philadelphia, Penn.7 Phillips, Lieutenant Eleazer4 Phillips, Wendell104 Phips, Samuel, Schoolmaster, 167434, 36, 38, 41, 60 Phipps, Emma61 Phipps, Katherine ( Brackenbury)35 Phipps, Captain Samuel61, 63 Phipps, Solomon21, 34 Pillsbury, Harry N.66 Pillsbury, L. B.66, 74 Pillsbury, Mrs. Mary A.66 Piscataquog River50 Piscataquog Village50 Plymouth Colony, The81 Plymouth, Mass.7 Plymouth Rock78 Pomeroy, General Seth90 Pomfret