which was afterwards reimbursed by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $61.20; in 1862, $1,050.53; in 1863, $2,527.52; in 1864, $1,757.20; in 1865, $1,500.00. Total in four years, $6,896.45.
Incorporated June 13, 1810.
Population in 1860, 998; in 1865, 962.
Valuation in 1860, $256,822; in 1865, $311,595.
The selectmen in 1861 were Elam P. Norton, Samuel A. Jones, Pardon Perry; in 1862, Samuel A. Jones, Nathaniel J. Kenyon, Pardon Perry; in 1863, Alanson Crittenden, Marcus Phelps, Lorenzo Webb; in 1864, Alanson Crittenden, Isaac J. Norton, Amos D. Cotton; in 1865, Elam P. Norton, Samuel Hamilton, John Hunter.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all the years of the war was Joseph L. Waters.
1861. May 11th, The town voted to pay each soldier seven dollars a month while in the service, and State aid to each family; provided the Legislature does not make the pay of the soldiers as good as the foregoing.
1862. March 3d, The selectmen were authorized to