the last regular services before the Revolution were held in the church.
The only member left was Judge Lee, who was unmolested because his principles were mild.
Now for a space the church ministered to the soldiers' bodily rather than to their spiritual needs.
After Lexington, the company of Captain John Chester from Wethersfield, Conn., was quartered in the church.
There is still a bullet mark in the porch as a reminder of this period.
The sole member who took the colonial side, John Pidgeon, was appointed commissary-general to the forces.
The rest, Tories, fled to General Gage in Boston.
General Washington, a good churchman, though for reasons of expediency he often worshipped with his men at the Congregational meeting house (then under Dr. Appleton), when Mrs. Washington came, Dec. 31, 1775, had Christ Church re-opened for a service which he attended.
One is still shown the place where his hat was laid, near the threshold.
General and Mrs. Washington probably occupi