hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 17 results in 5 document sections:

and spirit has or shall reveal unto us to be our duty; beseeching the Lord to own us for his people, and delight to dwell in the midst of us. And, that we may keep our covenant with God, we desire to deny ourselves, and to depend wholly on the free mercy of God, and upon the merits of Jesus Christ; and wherein we fail to wait upon him for pardon through his name, beseeching the Lord to own us as a church of Christ, and delight to abide in the midst of us. John Whitmore. Thomas Hall. Nathaniel Pierce. Ebenezer Brooks. John Francis. Samuel Brooks. Thomas Willis. Stephen Willis. John Whitmore. John Bradshaw. Stephen Hall. Persival Hall. Jonathan Hall. Francis Whitmore. Thomas Willis, jun. Signed Feb. 11, 1713. This being done, we went to the place of public worship, where the Rev. Mr. Simon Bradstreet began with prayer. Prayer being ended, I preached from those words in First Epistle to the Corinthians IV. 2: Moreover, it is required of stewards that a man be found
State, of its size, had so many in number, or better in quality; and they were all placed conveniently on the great thoroughfare. In early times, no one could keep tavern without a special license from the court. The form was as follows: Nathaniel Pierce, of Medford, is permitted to sell liquors unto such sober-minded neighbors as he shall think meet, so as he sell not less than the quantity of a gallon at a time to one person, and not in smaller quantities by retail to the occasioning of drunkenness. The first tavern of which we have any record was built by Major Jonathan Wade, about 1690, and kept by Nathaniel Pierce. It stood a few rods south of the bridge, on the corner of Main and Short Streets, and, for more than a century, offered its accommodations to the public. It was bought by Colonel Royal, and had on its sign a representation of Admiral Vernon. Its owner wished to let it; and his advertisement, dated Dec. 26, 1743, reads thus: Any persons before-handed, so as to
, 1790; m. J. K. Frothingham, of Charlestown.   Mary, b. May 29, 1793; m. Warren Preston; d. Sept. 21, 1847.   Convers, b. Nov. 9, 1795; of Harvard College. [books.   Lydia, b. Feb. 11, 1802; m. David L. Child; has written several   Lydia Francis, m. Ebenezer Blount, Feb. 17, 1739.   Sarah Francis, m. Josiah Smith, of Lexington, Nov. 15, 1750.   Lydia Francis, m. Benjamin Tufts, March 4, 1779.   Hannah Francis, m. Isaac Amsdell, of Marlborough, June 7, 1725.   Lydia Francis, m. Nathaniel Pierce, Mar. 1, 1685.   Elizabeth Francis, d. Nov. 12, 1750.    Samuel Francis, jun., and his wifed. Oct. 15, 1775. d. May 15, 1775.   Jane, widow of John Francis, d. Dec. 16, 1800, aged 63.   Fulton, John, was born in Boston, 1736, and moved to Medford in 1772, where he owned land bounded by the street which now bears his name. His father is said to have emigrated from Ireland, to enjoy liberty of conscience, and was one of the proprietors of the Federal-street Ch
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 6: Essex County. (search)
al amount, $23,456.85. The ladies of Methuen devoted much time to soldiers' work, though we have been unable to procure a statement of the amount performed. Mr. Pierce, chairman of the selectmen for the present year, writes: As to the doings of the ladies, I can get no definite information. There were both Christian and Sanit60. In 1861, George W. Jackman, Jr., mayor; Moses Davenport was mayor part of the year, and Mr. Jackman was alderman part of the year. Isaac Hale, Jr., Nathaniel Pierce, George S. George, Joseph A. Frothingham, William H. Huse, George W. Jackman, Jr., Winthrop 0. Evans, aldermen. In 1862, George W. Jackman, Jr., mayor; Isaac Hale, Jr., Charles C. Dame, Nathaniel Pierce, George S. George, Horace Hamblet, William H. Huse, Winthrop O. Evans, aldermen. In 1863, Isaac H. Boardman, mayor; Samuel Pettengell, William Graves, Norman C. Greenough, John N. Pike, William H. Huse, John S. Currier, aldermen. In 1864, George W. Jackman, Jr., mayor; Samuel Pett
ay from Medford to Woburn, and at the foot of Marm Simonds' Hill (this hill was called in the early days of the plantation, Marabels Hill), and as will hereinafter appear, this location is the same as that upon which stood a tavern named at times Pierce's, Usher's and Putnam's Tavern. The evidence to be submitted shows conclusively that upon this lot of land stood a house or houses that were used a good part of the time for over one hundred years as a place of public entertainment. When this huildings thereon in the year 1714 to Mr. Stephen Hall. Mr. Hall sold the same year to Mr. John Richardson, 4th, and Mr. Richardson also sold that same year to Messrs. Joseph and Jabez Sargent. The Messrs. Sargent sold in the year 1717 to Mr. Nathaniel Pierce, taylor and innholder. Who the occupants of this house were during these years is by no means certain. The records of the court fail to show that any person was licensed to keep a public house during the years 1694 and 1695, although it