t still has the substantial dwelling and store quarters erected at the close of the Revolution by Jonathan Porter, first occupied by him, next by his son George Washington Porter, and is still owned by one of his descendants.
By courtesy of the present occupant, the Medford Publishing Company, a view of it is given in our frontisn, and was taken down.
That the tavern ceased to be the Royal Oak is shown by a letter, still preserved, written by Rogers, the New Hampshire Ranger in 1775 from Porter's tavern in Medford.
Within a few weeks one of his descendants has been here in Medford to see the location and also the Royall house, and to tread over the route taken by her ancestor.
After the war, which seems to have left Porter in better circumstances than it did others, as shown by the erection of this house, he engaged in a general merchandise business which included the necessaries of life, West India Goods and Groceries.
So did his son, and the long line of their successors d