ho lived there one or two years, until his sudden death in Havana, of fever, when his family moved into Boston
In 1813 or 1814 Capt Gilchrist sold the house to Mr William Furness, Cashier of the Union Bank, Boston.
He died in April, 1836, aged 69, and the house was soon after sold to Mr Jonathan Porter, of rising reputation as a lawyer, until ill health compelled him to relinquish his profession
Later Mr. Swan added:—
He died 11th June 1859, aged 67.
almost wholly confined to his house by spinal infirmity, the last 10 or 15 years.——
Over date of Aug. 8, 1888, is added with pencil:—
House of Jonathan Porter Esq built by Rev. Mr. Turell now destroyed, the land is still owned by Miss Mary Porter daughter of Jonathan Porter. J. G. Swan.
Since the old house was built, have come Purchase and Winthrop streets, then Porter's lane, (now Rural avenue), and now Traincroft.
It is a far cry from its earliest days to the Winthrop square and the electric cars of