ot into Harvard (1845), but were for a time astonished and handicapped by the nerve of the little chaps from the Latin school.
Other schools need noting, where we were taught dancing, singing and drawing, all by private tutors.
Mrs. Barrymore came out weekly from Boston to teach a class in dancing in the Day Academy.
To it came Helen Porter from the George Porter house across Forest street; Catherine and Rebecca Adams, daughters of Deacon Adams, came from the slope of Winter Hill; Susan Emily Porter came from the Royall farm.
She was our best dancer.
She later married Mr. Cunningham of Baltimore.
Amelia and Caroline Blanchard, daughters of Capt. Andrew Blanchard, came from the house shown on the outside of the Historical Register; Apphia and Mary Fuller, daughters of Dr. Fuller, from the next house east.
The drawing class was instructed by Miss Hannah Swan, daughter of Mrs. Peggy Swan and sister of Sam, he of the brazen rooster.
The singing school was a large affair.