Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for B. M. Prentiss or search for B. M. Prentiss in all documents.

Your search returned 19 results in 16 document sections:

1 2
Jan. 10. An intense excitement at Charleston, on account of a rumor that the sloop-of-war Brooklyn was dispatched for that place. Great preparations are made to receive her. The buoys in the harbor are removed, and threats are made to fire on the ship. A steam-tug called the Aid left the wharf to-night for the purpose of reconnoitring. She is mounted with one gun, and is under the command of Lieut. Hamilton, formerly of the Federal navy. Fort Moultrie is being rapidly put in order by a large force of workmen. There are over forty South Carolina railroad hands actively and constantly employed under Mr. Bryant. Twenty hearty, strong negroes were sent down by the Rev. Mr. Prentiss and set to work, and did work faithfully all night upon the ramparts.--Charleston Courier, Jan. 11.
delegated a portion of her sovereignty to the United States over certain tracts of land for military purposes, such as arsenals, parks, &c., and the conclusion implied, but not stated, is, that this is the extreme limit of the right of the United States Government to occupy or touch the soil of the sovereign State of Missouri.--St. Louis Democrat, May 7. An important interview took place at Camp Defiance, Cairo, Ill., between Colonel Tilghman, commander of the Kentucky forces, and Colonel Prentiss in command at Cairo.--(Doc. 139.) The act recognizing the existence of war between the United States and the seceding States, and concerning letters of marque prizes and prize goods, which had passed the Southern congress at Montgomery, was made public, the injunction of secrecy having been removed therefrom.--(Doc. 140.) A meeting of the principal shipowners and commercial men of Maine was held at Augusta. It was summoned by Governor Washburn to take into consideration the s
supervision of the army committee of the Young Men's Christian Association.--N. Y. Commercial, June 7. A secession camp at Ellicott's Mills, in Kentucky, ten miles distant from Cairo, Ill., was dispersed by two companies sent thither by General Prentiss. Colonel Wickliffe protested against the act as an invasion of the soil of Kentucky; to which Gen. Prentiss said, in reply, that the act had been prompted by a letter claiming protection for the Union men there. He declared his intention alGen. Prentiss said, in reply, that the act had been prompted by a letter claiming protection for the Union men there. He declared his intention also to send troops any place needed for the protection of loyal citizens.--National Intelligencer, June 8. In the New York Chamber of Commerce it was Resolved, That the Executive Committee of this Chamber, after consultation with and subject to the approval of Col. Anderson, or his second in command, cause to be prepared a suitable medal for each of the soldiers and non-commissioned officers of the late garrison of Fort Sumter, and to have them presented at as early a day as possible, at th
dy in a short time. Seventeen additional regiments of infantry are now forming, and will be put into the service as speedily as possible. This will make thirty-three regiments raised and to be raised in Indiana--a force of about 36,000 men, including three artillery companies now about ready for active service. This is over 3,000 men for each Congressional District, or about every fortieth person in the State.--Indianapolis Journal, August 3. The United States steamer Albatross, Captain Prentiss, arrived at Philadelphia, Pa., from Hampton Roads, having in charge the schooner Enchantress, which was captured July 6th, 260 miles southeast of Sandy Hook, by the privateer Jeff. Davis, and on attempting to take her into the port of Charleston, S. C., on the 22d of July, was re-captured with five men of the privateer's crew on board, west of Cape Hatteras. The Enchantress cleared from Boston on the 29th of June, for ports in Cuba. All the crew except Garrick (negro cook) were remove
August 16. Colonel Hecker, with his regiment, surprised a body of rebels, four hundred strong, near Fredericktown, Mo., early this morning. He captured all their camp equipage, and his men ate the breakfast which had just been prepared by the rebels. Twelve prisoners were also taken.--General Prentiss took command of all the forces at Ironton, Mo.--N. Y. World, August 20. A New battery, erected by the rebels at a point a mile or two below Aquia Creek, Va., opened fire on the steamer Pocahontas, but inflicted no damage. This is the fourth battery which has been erected at that point. Officers report that, unless the Government takes immediate action to expel the rebels from these positions on the bank of the river, navigation will be completely closed. The enemy's batteries already command a large part of the Potomac.--Louisville Journal, August 19. In the United States Circuit Court, sitting in the city of New York, the Grand Jury brought in a presentment against
September 24. Louis Philippe d'orleans, Comte de Paris, the heir of Louis Philippe, (the eldest son of his eldest son,) and Robert d'orleans, Duc de Chartres, the brother of Louis Philippe d'orleans, were duly commissioned as captains of volunteers in the service of the United States, and attached to Major-General McClellan's staff as aids. These young princes made it a condition of their service that they should receive no pecuniary compensation. General Prentiss, U. S. A., assumed command of the National forces at St. Joseph, Mo. No man in the whole Western army could have been sent there who is more acceptable to the people north of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad; and, under his command, the Union troops, whether Federal or State, are willing to do battle.--National Intelligencer, Sept. 28. A portion of Colonel Geary's force had an action to-day with five hundred rebels on the Virginia side of the Potomac, near Point of Rocks. They were sheltered on a high p
ight the boats arrived alongside the Louisiana without having lost a man. The only casualty was received by Lieutenant Hopkins, who had his right hand severely burned while applying a torch.--Philadelphia Press, Nov. 14. Gen. John B. Henderson, of the Missouri State Militia, made a compromise with the rebels at Dyer's Mills, near Concord, Missouri, by which he agreed that the United States would not make any arrests if the rebels would lay down their arms and return to their homes. Gen. Prentiss acquiesced in the compromise. The rebels were four hundred strong, and Gen. Henderson's force numbered one thousand five hundred. The proposition for compromise came from the rebels.--National Intelligencer, Nov. 1. General Kelley issued a proclamation from Romney to the people of Hampshire County and the Upper Potomac, in which he assured them of protection to their persons and property.--(Doc. 112.) Asa T. Pratt, of Braintree, Mass., who expressed strong secession sentiment
York State Volunteer artillerists arrived in New York, from Albany. They number one hundred and fifty-six men, and are under the command of Captain T. J. Kennedy. The majority of the men have been enlisted from the plough and harrow in Cayuga County, and are a fine-looking set of young men. They are fully uniformed, but without sabres or guns, both of which await them in Washington. Their pieces are to consist of four ten-pound rifled Parrott guns, and two twelve-pound howitzers. Gen. Prentiss, at St. Joseph, Mo., addressed a large crowd of the citizens of that place, declaring in the most solemn manner that he would compel every secessionist there to take an oath of allegiance to the United States Government, or he would set them at work in the trenches of Fort Smith. The speech delighted the loyal, but sent consternation into the ranks of the traitors.--N. Y. Tribune, Dec. 7. This night a detachment of the Federal cavalry made a dash for the Memphis Branch railroad, an
s afternoon.--N. Y. Herald, Dec. 31. Writs of attachment were filed in the Louisville (Ky.) Chancery Court, under the law subjecting to such process the property of rebels who remain in the so-called Southern Confederacy thirty days after its passage, against Gen. Buckner, ex-Minister Preston, and Edward Crutchfield. Their property amounted to twenty thousand dollars each. Writs were also issued against several other parties for smaller amounts.--Philadelphia Press, Dec. 31. General Prentiss, with four hundred and fifty troops, encountered and dispersed a body of rebels nine hundred strong, under Colonel Dorsey, at Mount Zion, Boone County, Mo., killing and wounding one hundred and fifty of them, and capturing thirty-five prisoners, ninety-five horses, and one hundred and five guns. The National loss was three killed and eleven wounded.--(Doc. 240.) Last night the Thirty-fifth Ohio, Colonel Vandeveer, made a silent, cautious march to the Salt Works on Fishing Creek, K
oats and skiffs as far up as they dared to come; also that there had been a movement among the troops at Columbus. The gunboats and mortar-boats getting into position on the Missouri side of the river when a rebel steamer, with a white flag, made its appearance, some rebel officers came on board the Cincinnati, and a consultation took place.--Cincinnati Gazette. Harper's Ferry, Va., was occupied by the National forces, under the command of General Banks. The troops were unopposed, and found all the necessaries for a permanent occupation. Lieut. A. C. Rhind, U. S. N., went, with Lieut. Prentiss and three men, on an expedition to Bear Bluff, opposite White Point, on North--Edisto River, S. C., where the rebels were erecting a battery. Two men were found, as picket guards, in the magazine of the unfinished battery, asleep. In attempting to secure them, one was shot by the accidental discharge of a pistol in the hands of Lieutenant Rhind. The other was captured.--(Doc. 62.)
1 2